Last night I really got upset with my wife and son. My parents decided to buy a new truck. As a result, they gifted their old 2004 Chevy to my son. This is his first car. Instead of being happy about it, both him and my wife bitched about not liking the car. They bitched about the color, the model, the performance.....on and on. I'm really upset about that. How can they both be so damn ignorant? Him I understand, teens are supposed to be stupid, but my wife really surprised me. My first car barely ran and was a death trap. This car is 100% complete and functional. Who cares if it's a grandpa special, it's a freaking free car. I'm at a loss.....

Edited by DLT
  • Like 3

I would be pretty disgusted with both of them, and they'd damned sure know it.

If they said anything to Mom/Dad I'd be livid.

I right now would be of the mind to sell it and give the money to Toys for Tots.

If I was Granpa, that truck would've been taken away so damned quick Jr.s head would spin to watch it go.

• Like 2

I was so pissed that I tried to return it, but they both freaked out and realized how bad and ungrateful they were going to appear so they cut their crap. But I'm still very upset. I would have cried in joy to have had a car with a/c down here and a heater all those years I lived in the panhandle of Texas. Hell, even the damn wipers didn't work right. But you know, I survived and learned a ton about how things work because of that crappy car.

• Like 4

My first couple of cars were junk that I resurected. My children (5) each had a first car that was junk that they 'helped' me resurect. Some of them had more that one junker because they killed their first one. Tell your family to quit cursing their blessings and start celebrating them, for tomorrow they can find themselves  praying for that blessing they cursed yesterday.

• Like 3

Yeap, concur.  I didn't have a choice, but I didn't bitch. My father picked the car for me, I paid for it, he inspected it, and if it wasn't SPOTLESS it was taken away..mind you I paid for everything.  I took damn good care of that car, as I still do, 36 years later (52 now).  And I certainly would have been more pissed at the wife unit then the son....teenagers learn the hard way, but you think she would have known better.

I feel your pain...I have to remind my wife sometimes just how blessed we are. 

• Like 1

My wife has unfortunately bitten the apple of over protection when it comes to our kids. Hey, I love them too with all my heart, and would love to see them in brand new cars, but that's not a reality. This car was free, and it's 100% functional. I decided to bring it to work after lunch and let me tell you all, it's actually really nice. Yeah, I'll admit, it has a bit of a tug boat feel, but it's comfortable and cruises right along.

• Like 1

Last night I really got upset with my wife and son. My parents decided to buy a new truck. As a result, they gifted their old 2004 Chevy to my son. This is his first car. Instead of being happy about it, both him and my wife bitched about not liking the car. They bitched about the color, the model, the performance.....on and on. I'm really upset about that. How can they both be so damn ignorant? Him I understand, teens are supposed to be stupid, but my wife really surprised me. My first car barely ran and was a death trap. This car is 100% complete and functional. Who cares if it's a grandpa special, it's a freaking free car. I'm at a loss.....

Sell it.

• Like 1

My first car was a $100 Ford Fairlane that I bought with cash I earned on a car wash job.  My buddy got a nice car from his Grandparents that was older but spotless with low mileage.  He was ungrateful because it was not hot enough for him.  He pounded the crap out of it including driving through fields with it.  Unfortunately his father had passed away years earlier and was not around to kick his butt into shape.  On the other hand, we had a lot of fun in that car but it was pretty irresponsible.  Of course we were all of 16 or 17 at the time.  I always took care of my wheels no matter the age or miles.

The wife and I recently financed a 1999 Mazda Miata(2500) for her 18 year old son . He wasn't with us and had no choice in picking out the car. Tires and brakes needed replacing along with some other minor issues. Car was dirty, but you could see with a little elbow grease it would clean up nice.

Told the wife if he didn't want it, we would use for a weekend toy.

He was out of town when we bought it, I left it dirty so when he first saw it, the car wasn't that impressive.

Showed him where the wax and cleaners were and how to get started.Told him how to replace the brakes, plugs & wires, and made him do it. Taught him to scour Craigslist for rims,and how to clean and paint them for a grand total of $120(rims included) 

Car is looking really good right now.

You give kids stuff and don't make them work for it and they don't appreciate them.

Edited by Jet
  • Like 5

You give kids stuff and don't make them work for it and they don't appreciate them.

Amen!  <<< And I mean that.

My kids earn money, no allowance, they also get fined for screw ups.

They get paid weekly.  They buy their own candy and impulse buy toys and stuff.

Its great when you see them want something on impulse, stop, think, and remember what they're saving for then choose to resist the impulse buy.

They take good care of their stuff for this very reason, while their cousins and friends tear their stuff up that was given to them.

Financial education & responsibility starts early, just like everything else.

• Like 1

Amen!  <<< And I mean that.

My kids earn money, no allowance, they also get fined for screw ups.

They get paid weekly.  They buy their own candy and impulse buy toys and stuff.

Its great when you see them want something on impulse, stop, think, and remember what they're saving for then choose to resist the impulse buy.

They take good care of their stuff for this very reason, while their cousins and friends tear their stuff up that was given to them.

Financial education & responsibility starts early, just like everything else.

Hell....I even talked the wife into putting a lien on her son's car until he paid us back in full. Only cost $20 and takes the title out of our name while making sure we are repaid for helping him out.

Edited by Jet
  • Like 1

My kids had to buy their own insurance. I would provide them with the ability to put a car on the road, but they had to insure it, as in Maryland and some other States, the fact that you pay for their insurance makes you liable for any act that exceeds the limit of coverage on their vehicle! Many years ago there was a case where the kid was killed in an accident. The other driver was most likely the culprit who caused the wreck. The kid was dead so the other partys word was taken as fact. The Parents lost their house in the lawsuit.

Edited by G O B