Foreign people who complement you on getting fat

What the fuck is up with this? I mean, its hilarious, don't get me wrong, but why is this?

One of the Mexicans I used to work with at the Chinese restaurant had gone back o Mexico for a year or so, he came back and I guess I had put on some weight, he was like 'you gotten fat mayne.'

I had been out of town for a while, and I was buying beer at the gas station, and the Indian dude behind the count commented on my weight gain and told me I looked good.

Dude I used to know was a burly fucker, not really in shape. He went to school with a bunch of Eastern European chicks, and when we'd hang out with them they were always hanging on him, and saying it was manly.

I guess it's a cultural thing.

Being a BIG man used to mean you had means/money, being fat was sign of being well fed, healthy and a good provider.

A well rounded woman is still considered desirable in many cultures, healthy, well fed and able to bear the rigors of pregnancy and feeding an infant.

I've never been attracted to what passes for sexy today and in recent history, I like a little cushion.

• Like 1

Saw it in Guatemala and Nicaragua. I had a high school girl kinda try to propose to me via one of her classmates. I looked like crap then, I was pudgy, streaming sweat and had a T shirt on two sizes too small. It made me look a lot fatter than I was. Also guys lounging around in Nicaragua had a tendency to hook their thumbs under their shirts and rest with their hands in their armpits. Thus they were showing off their bare pot bellies as they did the "teamster lean" in the shade. It looked every bit as bizarre as that sounds. 

My friend said it was constant in Zimbabwe and Kenya. - then they started calling him a skeleton. "M'bonzo" That's how you know there aren't enough calories in your sadza.