When Can Authorities Force You To Evacuate Your Home? ...

Related to my other question can the cops enter your home without a warrant.  Hint; ... I'm retired fire service and we had very specific rules regarding forced (no option) evacuations, but that was many years ago.

How about today?  Are there specific situations where law enforcement can DEMAND that folks leave their homes instantly?  Is this even possible?  Way back in the day we could encourage ... but not demand.

The ONLY exception then being that if more than one person was in extreme hazard of dying horribly, like in a spreading house fire.  We were responsible for general protection, not individual protection.  Strange.

Some of that Katrina stuff was unreal.

It looked like old WWII film with all of the Gestapo door kicking and punching old ladies in the face kind of thing.

I'm kind of amazed there was no immediate push back to that except later in court.

In regards to HB's question..... I'll evacuate if and when I decide to, not before.

Edited by Spartacus
  • Like 4

Yep ... pretty much what I intend, poolingmyignorance   In the very first day of our fire academy (such as it was) we were taught that we only have to provide for the common good and protect only the general public and we had no legal mandate to protect only the few or the one.  While we were protected legally when we kicked down front doors during a structure fire, we were NOT protected if some deaf home owner takes exception to it.  But ... that was then and this is now.

Edited by HB of CJ

The did some evacuations in Grand Forks, ND back in 1997.  Needless to say the mayor basically ran away from that town as soon as her term was up.  She cut power to the city and caused more damage to homes that were holding their own until that point.  National Guard tried to force some out of their homes, but were met with greater force in those homes.  I do know that ND has some specific laws regarding rules that cities must follow.  Reason why no city has done that again since.

• Like 1

The did some evacuations in Grand Forks, ND back in 1997.  Needless to say the mayor basically ran away from that town as soon as her term was up.  She cut power to the city and caused more damage to homes that were holding their own until that point.  National Guard tried to force some out of their homes, but were met with greater force in those homes.  I do know that ND has some specific laws regarding rules that cities must follow.  Reason why no city has done that again since.

That was a lot of water.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1997_Red_River_Flood_in_the_United_States

My buddy got kicked out by the sheriff near Essex, MT. They put a notice on his door and never entered his building. They talked to residents that were home when they made their rounds. No force could be used but it was a fire evac. and it had to be OK'ed by the Governor. Feds couldn't call it.

Some of that Katrina stuff was unreal.

It looked like old WWII film with all of the Gestapo door kicking and punching old ladies in the face kind of thing.

I'm kind of amazed there was no immediate push back to that except later in court.

In regards to HB's question..... I'll evacuate if and when I decide to, not before.

Oh, it most certainly got much more ugly than what the public got to see.

• Like 2

The gun confiscations in Katrina got truly ridiculous. I remember reading one story of a man who was taking some of his more important possessions (including a couple rifles) in a small boat, trying to meet up with someone on the edge of the flood. NOPD swarmed him in a couple of Kodiaks and demanded to search his boat for firearms. They took his rifles and just left him there with no means of defense.

This is a great account of the whole mess, from a guy who claims he only got out of Katrina alive by open carrying an AK in the immediate aftermath.

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/1563080/posts

As we pulled up in front of my apartment building, I told Debbi that we could only take a few minutes to get whatever we were going to need from the apartment. I knew that the longer the Blazer sat on Julia Street (a mere four blocks from the Morial Convention Center), the greater the chance of it either being stolen or having its gasoline siphoned out. The two of us proceeded upstairs and began to pack frantically. I strapped the AKM across my back when I carried the first load downstairs. When I got there, I looked through the pedestrian gate that surrounds the building and I saw a group of five men circling the Blazer, looking through its windows. One of them was clearly trying to read the fuel gauge.

Knowing what they were about to do, I dashed through the gate and yelled at them to get away from the vehicle. As I charged through the gate, I unslung the AKM. At first, the malice in their eyes and their threatening moves could not have been more clear. It wasn’t just about the Blazer anymore. Then, they each saw the rifle and, without hesitating, turned and ran. If I had been unarmed, I would have never done this, and they would have taken the only means of escape that was available to us. I watched the impulse that shot through each of them the second they saw my AKM – it was the unmistakable and immediate impulse of complete terror. They responded dramatically to the sight of that AKM. It was better than having a team of Rottweilers.

Edited by mancat
  • Like 4

The gun confiscations in Katrina got truly ridiculous. I remember reading one story of a man who was taking some of his more important possessions (including a couple rifles) in a small boat, trying to meet up with someone on the edge of the flood. NOPD swarmed him in a couple of Kodiaks and demanded to search his boat for firearms. They took his rifles and just left him there with no means of defense.

This is a great account of the whole mess, from a guy who claims he only got out of Katrina alive by open carrying an AK in the immediate aftermath.

As we pulled up in front of my apartment building, I told Debbi that we could only take a few minutes to get whatever we were going to need from the apartment. I knew that the longer the Blazer sat on Julia Street (a mere four blocks from the Morial Convention Center), the greater the chance of it either being stolen or having its gasoline siphoned out. The two of us proceeded upstairs and began to pack frantically. I strapped the AKM across my back when I carried the first load downstairs. When I got there, I looked through the pedestrian gate that surrounds the building and I saw a group of five men circling the Blazer, looking through its windows. One of them was clearly trying to read the fuel gauge.

Knowing what they were about to do, I dashed through the gate and yelled at them to get away from the vehicle. As I charged through the gate, I unslung the AKM. At first, the malice in their eyes and their threatening moves could not have been more clear. It wasn’t just about the Blazer anymore. Then, they each saw the rifle and, without hesitating, turned and ran. If I had been unarmed, I would have never done this, and they would have taken the only means of escape that was available to us. I watched the impulse that shot through each of them the second they saw my AKM – it was the unmistakable and immediate impulse of complete terror. They responded dramatically to the sight of that AKM. It was better than having a team of Rottweilers.

That one sticks deep in a lot of craws. Some things just have to be seen.

Some good southern folks learned hard lessons in those days and it hasn't been forgotten. 

They met the disaster just fine, they were prepared for it and had chosen their property well, it do matter where ya stay.

Then the government showed up to help.

If it were to happen again Ive an idea that things would be very different today.

As to the OP's concern, most folks are not suicidal, if the time is taken to explain though it may be only a few seconds, if the danger is real folks will haul out.

But as in Katrina if the danger is not real, these folks were high and dry had power generation and well enough armed and provisioned, dont expect much.

As for the laws on the subject, they didnt matter much to LE in all its forms then only orders mattered.

• Like 3

The account in the above article was written by this gentleman:

http://www.nationalgeographicexpeditions.com/experts/martin-morgan/detail

If you really want to get a feel how bad things can really get, I recommend this book.

http://neworleansgungrab.com/

Edited by yakdung
  • Like 1

The account in the above article was written by this gentleman:

http://www.nationalgeographicexpeditions.com/experts/martin-morgan/detail

If you really want to get a feel how bad things can really get, I recommend this book.

http://neworleansgungrab.com/

Its also on Amazon for $20 if you are there making xmas buys.

Thanks for reminding us about this I had forgotten, getting old sucks but it beats whats in second place.

This folks is the definitive work on the matter. Should be required reading.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...