I think the price tag is going to hold them back. $2700 for a shotgun, and it seems you have to pick if you're going to be shooting magnums or low powered.

Kinda seems like a uninteresting firearm when you can get a pair of vepr-12s and all the goodies for the same money.

It's a short recoil operated firearm, like a pistol. So it can't adjust from one power ammo to another without changing springs or bold mass.. With that in mind I'm not seeing the advantage over a MKA-1919. The MKA appears to be self adjusting, the only major fault of the MKA is the quality of the parts.

• Like 3

It's not magnums-only. There are two versions, the tactical and the sporting. The sporting version has a heavy barrel threaded for chokes, fixed stock and is tuned to higher-power loads. The tactical is tuned for all loads, here is the blurb from the product page:

The GEN-12 STM is optimized for fast handling and ease of carry. It’s perfect balance ensures quick target acquisition for competition or home defense. The STM is tuned for best performance with all low and high base non-”magnum” 12 gauge commercial shotgun cartridges.

I agree the price point is pretty high, hopefully it will come down and separate uppers would really help.

It's not magnums-only. There are two versions, the tactical and the sporting. The sporting version has a heavy barrel threaded for chokes, fixed stock and is tuned to higher-power loads. The tactical is tuned for all loads, here is the blurb from the product page:

The GEN-12 STM is optimized for fast handling and ease of carry. It’s perfect balance ensures quick target acquisition for competition or home defense. The STM is tuned for best performance with all low and high base non-”magnum” 12 gauge commercial shotgun cartridges.

I agree the price point is pretty high, hopefully it will come down and separate uppers would really help.

he did not say it was magnums only he said you had to pick whether you wanted a version that ran well on magnums or one that ran well on light loads and that parts changing is required to switch. That seems to be the case.

"Heavy profile fluted barrel" on a shotgun? Oh that's the sporting version that is supposed to swing well for hunting, of course.

Sounds to me like it needed mass to keep from beating itself and the user up with the short recoil system and this was a way of making more mass sound fancy instead of clumsy.

• 1 month later...

Looks a little less vaporware than Rhino's, so that's pretty cool. Price doesnt really scare me either, but I'd like to see some competition mods before I'm interested.

- Need a good comp/brake, preferably mid-barrel - a must

- 10+ round mags that work. - a must

- Adjustable gas system - a huge plus

- Left side charging handle - nice to have, not sure how well a regular AR charging handle would work.

If those get figured out and it runs, Im in for two.

It's short recoil, not gas operated. The only adjustment you can do is changing drags or spring weights. Like an old browning auto 5.

Ahh, interesting. Didnt realize that.

(ETA: Though reading this thread a little closer, it was revealed pretty early on :))

Edited by gose
  • 11 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...