Sadly, this happens a lot, and results in someone's life being forever altered by gun violence.  I was in a similar situation years back.  Wife's friend had a hubby who had a felony conviction for assaulting a cop.  She bought a gun, but kept it in her purse.  One weekend, she had a diabetic stroke while at our place. I removed her gun from her purse before returning it to her husband.  He starts ranting and raving at the hospital that her gun is missing.  When the cops arrived, I explained he was a convicted felon, and I would return her firearm once she was released from ther hospital.  Cop told me if I didn't hand over the firearm to him, because he was her husband, I would be charged with theft.  I was smart enough to remove the bullets, though.  A week later, he used it in an armed robbery while she was still in the hospital recovering.  Now, she can't own one because they are saying she gave it to him.

I thought you couldn't have firearms in a house if a felon lives there?

Sadly, this happens a lot, and results in someone's life being forever altered by gun violence.  I was in a similar situation years back.  Wife's friend had a hubby who had a felony conviction for assaulting a cop.  She bought a gun, but kept it in her purse.  One weekend, she had a diabetic stroke while at our place. I removed her gun from her purse before returning it to her husband.  He starts ranting and raving at the hospital that her gun is missing.  When the cops arrived, I explained he was a convicted felon, and I would return her firearm once she was released from ther hospital.  Cop told me if I didn't hand over the firearm to him, because he was her husband, I would be charged with theft.  I was smart enough to remove the bullets, though.  A week later, he used it in an armed robbery while she was still in the hospital recovering.  Now, she can't own one because they are saying she gave it to him.

I thought you couldn't have firearms in a house if a felon lives there?

That has been a gray area.  If the purchaser is not a felon, then they can pass a 4473.  They don't ask who's in the home.  Now if she had of bought it and gave it to him, then the state would have fried her for giving it to him. 

What if, say their house gets robbed? Or she goes hunting and checks a deer? As in the police become aware she has both a gun and a felon in the house.

Edited by JDeko

What if, say their house gets robbed? Or she goes hunting and checks a deer? As in the police become aware she has both a gun and a felon in the house.

Well depending on the state they may or may not have a problem with it but if the felon is not in possession of the firearm at the time they really don't have a case. Some states would have secure storage laws and if by chance it was out an accessible, then that may be of issue but they aren't lying on the form unless they are straw purchasing for the felon and in that case they will receive said punishment as is mandatory based on that crime

• Like 2

Has the family considered taking the situation into their own bosoms and gently confronting the person in question and sanitising her immediate environment?  This would include removing her space of any potential dangerous weapons.  Also there is a medical definition difference between being dependant on a drug and being addicted to the same.  HB.  Retarded FF PM RN.  Now just old.

She's the kind of person who, when faced with the problem of: not being able to find a knife to cut herself with, came up with the solution: bust out a window and make a knife out of glass.

• Like 3

Has the family considered taking the situation into their own bosoms and gently confronting the person in question and sanitising her immediate environment?  This would include removing her space of any potential dangerous weapons.  Also there is a medical definition difference between being dependant on a drug and being addicted to the same.  HB.  Retarded FF PM RN.  Now just old.

She's the kind of person who, when faced with the problem of: not being able to find a knife to cut herself with, came up with the solution: bust out a window and make a knife out of glass.

Sound like a good old fashioned lobotomy would be appropriate. I know a couple candidates for the procedure as well.

A regular Macgyver....

I also had the idea of removing the firing pin. Not sure how it's going to work out, but the ATF agent told the mom to do whatever she could (including getting a copy of the police report and guilt tripping the gun store) into accepting a return. She also has a backup plan of selling the gun to a neighbor. 

Something dumb that I didn't even think to ask until a day or 2 later was if she had bought any ammunition. Turns out she DID, and it was blanks.