Promag 20rnd failures

Thank you all in advance for this forum. I just got my saiga 12 and finally had a chance to shoot it. The factory 5 rnd mag worked flawlessly every time. My Promag drums needed to be filed down a tiny bit to fit and had several failures in all three drums. Sometimes it wouldnt feed completely and the bolt be back about an inch, sometimes it would catch two shells at once, and sometimes the shell would be at too steep an angle and get caught in the chamber guide. It seemed as though the front catch was loose on all three and when i held the drum forward while shooting i had no problem. All the failures were at random times and sometimes happened every shot, sometimes the whole 20 would work just fine. I know this tooic has probably been covered before but i have searched and couldnt find anything that was extensive enough for my issues. Put 150 rounds of winchester super x hb game loads through it today to break it in. I have a plastic welder and was thinking of adding material to the front catch to make it sit where it needs to be but wanted to check with yall to see if maybe something else is needed.

Thanks again.

It's probably not what you want to hear, but I would recommend selling it before modifying it.  You'll take a loss, but you can put the funds towards one of the MDArms drums.
They won't be available forever and you'll be really glad you made the upgrade while you had the chance.

• Like 2

It could be that the feed lips on the drum are leaving the front of the shell too low to allow proper feeding. If they are made of metal you may be able to tweak them to allow the shell to sit at the correct angle. Do NOT attempt to modify the gun to suit the magazine. Ever. You will not be able to un do whatever you end up "Bubba'ing" up. You can, however, replace a screwed up magazine.

If the drum works when you push it forward, then you answered your own question. The drum is FUBAR, but a bit of JD weld, or better Dev-Con will get it working. Just use it as a range toy as it will never be an MD!

My ProMag 12-rounder has been flawless every time! You need to use the right ammo, some shells are longer than others and some are shorter. Mine works PERFECT with the 2.25 inch Suprema OOBUCK that I get at Wally World! 2.75 inch shells will NOT fit in the ProMag 12-round drum!

Works every time!!!

Alan​

My ProMag 12-rounder has been flawless every time! You need to use the right ammo, some shells are longer than others and some are shorter. Mine works PERFECT with the 2.25 inch Suprema OOBUCK that I get at Wally World! 2.75 inch shells will NOT fit in the ProMag 12-round drum!

Works every time!!!

Alan​

What? 2.75 inch shells will not fit? Is that a typo? 2.75 inch shells run great in the 10 or 12 round drums and ergonomics of the smaller drum is very useful in any situation, not just a range toy. The small drum is Pro-Mags best product!

• Like 1