I'm pretty sure this question is floating around somewhere, but where can I get a replacement or spare bolt carrier? The reason for it, is I'm planning on converting my 7.62x39 sporter. Instead of drilling and changing out the gas piston, I rather get a spare and do it. Or maybe I'm doing it wrong, I should change it. Any input or direction toward getting one would be appreciated, thanks!!!

I wouldn't change the piston until something goes is wrong with it unless you need a 922r part. There are easier parts to change out than the piston. We have Saiga gas pistons if you ever need one, but it is highly unlikely that you are going to need a replacement. http://www.mississippiautoarms.com/ak4774saiga-rifle-gas-piston-tapco-p-610.html

I'm pretty sure this question is floating around somewhere, but where can I get a replacement or spare bolt carrier? The reason for it, is I'm planning on converting my 7.62x39 sporter. Instead of drilling and changing out the gas piston, I rather get a spare and do it. Or maybe I'm doing it wrong, I should change it. Any input or direction toward getting one would be appreciated, thanks!!!

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...

Replacing a bolt carrier  requires far to many variables to just do it yourself unless you know exactly what you are doing. You can swap parts all day long that might just work fine, but that is just asking for disaster. You can find people that will give you one they have so many. Any part replaced has to be checked against all other parts that interface it. Make one small modification to one part can affect how it interacts with, in reality, the rest of the gun. Then you check the rest all over again. The AK family can be very forgiving as far as just putting some gas in it and going down the road. But for safety sake and long term proper function if your NOT SURE what your doing, your already doing it wrong. When getting started out it is to easy  to hope it will be ok, when it's not.  Learning from mistakes is fine, but not when you are inserting a magazine with live rounds. I'm new to the sight but  I have owned over 150 weapons. Your just starting on the path to a long road. Find others to help you along, welcome to the journey! 

• 3 weeks later...