His name was Otter.

He was a 5yo Brussels Griffin Terrier that my wife brought home from work two years ago because, he had health issues and was unadoptable.

After thinking his health was under control, we let our guard down, hoping he would live forever.

After showing problems breathing we took him for tests and an x-ray, this morning, showed massive cancer.

The little guy never acted sick.

He wasn't in much pain but, he didn't have much longer either.

We brought him back home and did his favorite things and foods for a few hours.

Tonight he sleeps out back with our other beloved dogs of years gone by.

Balled my eyes out writing this. First time in decades.

• Like 8

I know that pain quite well, had to put my first dog to sleep 3 years back but it feels like yesterday. Granted I had her for 16/25 years of my life so its going to be a while before I'm used to life without her completely.

• Like 1

In honor of all of us who lave lost 4-legged friends....

rbowx.gif Rainbow Bridge rbowx.gif

Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.

When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge.
There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together.
There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor; those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by.
The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent; His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....

Author unknown...

You did all you could, brother.  Perhaps you made the last moments of his life his best.

Edited by Lone Eagle
  • Like 2

I'm sorry Slim.  That's a very unique pain that only those that have experienced can really relate to.
While it's not the same level of tragedy as a person dying, it can hurt just as bad.  The hurting will stop and eventually be replaced with fond memories and a smile when you think of him.

The little guy was lucky to be able to spend his last years with you and I'm sure you brought each other lots of joy.

• Like 1

Pets are like family. Even people I've known that express the idea that a dog is a utility animal will show rather more emotional involvement in replacing a dog than any piece of equipment. 

Sorry for your loss. 

• Like 1

Hello, Sim

While it sucks to lose them, it's only fair that we outlive them, they wouldn't stand a chance if they outlived us.

Over my many years and many dogger buddies lost, I've tried to find more pride and less sorrow. We give them such magnificent lives, so much better than the lives we found them in. We give them the best health care we are able, food, water, and so much love that they don't want to be anywhere else.

For that, we should be proud. We are sorry to see  them go, but they would want another dog to take their place once they leave.

We are special people, we are dog rescuers and guardians. And nobody better fuck with our dogs, dammit.

Damn fuzzy monitor......

-Guido in TX

• Like 5