Finally finished Barrel Cut to 13.5" + 5" Muzzle B = legal

Thanks to Evil for help with do's and dont's on this build !!!!!!!

My gunsmith did the barrel work and profile and polish bolt and new G-2 trigger  group so with a 5" Muzzlebrake

Pinned and" Silver Soldered" overall L is 18.5" and it eats it all . Had to add 2 gas ports to what was there and Voille!!! 

Chaos quad rail HG

Bone steel  Folder with Magpull 5 position stock with sissy pad "limbsaver"

Hogue pistol grip the thicker one !

Magpull vert grip.

Tapco G-2 trigger group

5" US GK-01 copy of Russian brake

US Gas puck

post-36074-0-99979400-1450820317_thumb.jpgpost-36074-0-55633800-1450820377_thumb.jpgpost-36074-0-99979400-1450820317_thumb.jpost-36074-0-55633800-1450820377_thumb.j

Edited by Aeromat209
  • Like 3

I'm generally more an S12 fan but that's a really nice shotgun you ended up with.  Congratulations on a great looking build.   Any idea what the unloaded weight is at this point?
I have heard that the shorter a shotgun gets the less punishing the recoil impulse is.   If this is true, I'd bet it's pretty gentle at this point with the shorter barrel, brake, and pad.

While I do love the look of your weapon I do need to stress a few points.  While I am not acquising you, or your smith, of any wrongdoing I do offer you the following.  Please read it and make the appropriate modifications that you feel may be required to maintain the lawful path....

The policy letter reference number is: 903050:EMO 3311

You can view the text here:

http://www.falfiles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=62421

DEPARTMENT OF THE TREASURY

BUREAU OF ALCOHOL, TOBACCO AND FIREARMS
WASHINGTON, DC 20226

FEB 2 2000

903050:EMO

Mr. XXXX XXXXXX
XXXXXX XXXXXX
XXXX XX XXX
XXXXXXXXXX, XXXXXXXX XXXXX

Dear Mr. XXXXXX

This is in reply to your letter dated December 28, 
1999, in which you ask about permanently affixing 
muzzle brakes your firm produces to barrel muzzles 
of "post ban" AR15 type rifles.

You indicated that the barrel muzzle will be threaded 
to accept the muzzle brake. The brake will be screwed 
to the barrel muzzle and a 3/32 inch hole .030 - .050 
inches in dpeth will be drilled into the barrel wall 
using an existing set screw location in the brake as a 
pilot hole. A 6X32 TPI set screw will be installed 
through the pilot hole and into the described blind 
hole in the barrel. The set screw hole will be welded 
over after installation of the screw to permanently 
affix the brake to the barrel. Excess wild will be 
removed and the muzzle brake refinished to conceal the 
location of the weld.

The above described procedure has previously been 
approved for use in permanently affixing muzzle 
attachments to rifle barrels. An AR15 type rifle 
barrel having a muzzle brake affixed as described 
above would no longer be considered to have a threaded 
muzzle provided that deep penetrating steel fusion 

welding is used.

Additionally....

Because the construction of the brake is aluminum, bonded to a steel barrel nut, the brake itself is a separate component from the steel barrel nut.

The steel barrel nut could be permanently affixed to the barrel first by a deep penetrating steel weld, and the brake attached to the barrel nut, however only the length of the permanently attached steel barrel nut could be taken into account when measuring barrel length. The portion of the brake that is aluminum is not (and cannot be) permanently attached to the barrel nut in the manner prescribed by ATF, and could not be considered in determining the length of the barrel from the end of the permanently attached muzzle device to the closed bolt face.

Also, please see the following, specifically regarding shotguns from the most recently published NFA handbook. Note: There is no approved method other than electric steel seam welding, and high temp silver solder for attaching a muzzle device to a shotgun barrel.

https://www.atf.gov/file/58251/download

Section 2.5 Removal of firearms from the scope of the NFA by modification/elimination of components. 

"For example, a shotgun with a barrel length of 15 inches is an NFA weapon. If the 15- inch barrel is removed and disposed of, the remaining firearm is not subject to the NFA because it has no barrel. Likewise, if the 15 inch barrel is modified by permanently attaching an extension such that the barrel length is at least 18 inches and the overall length of the weapon is at least 26 inches, the modified firearm is not subject to the NFA. NOTE: an acceptable method for permanently installing a barrel extension is by gas or electric steel seam welding or the use of high temperature silver solder having a flow point of 1100 degrees Fahrenheit. "

Thank you for taking the time and consideration in regards to this matter.  Please feel free to reply here or via PM.

Semper Gumby,

Gunny NR

Thanks Sarge for the info I got with my smith and he informed me he was aware of the ATF regs on this type of build and had Silver Soldered the brake with the pin . In my excitement I did not post originally that it had been Silver Soldered but since thanks to you edited  my original post!

Cheers Mike

Also, coming from the Army background -- no self respecting sergeant would allow a person to call them "sarge".  It is indeed slang and a mark of disrespect.  Salty, be sure to address your D.I. as "sarge" when you get to basic -- that should be fun...

Off topic...Marine Sergeants go by Sergeant or Sgt but never Sarge. That is army dog lingo.

I am a Gunnery Sergeant (GySgt) or Gunny or Gunz...but NEVER Sarge.

Merry Christmas all,
Gunny New River

• Like 1

Also, coming from the Army background -- no self respecting sergeant would allow a person to call them "sarge".  It is indeed slang and a mark of disrespect.  Salty, be sure to address your D.I. as "sarge" when you get to basic -- that should be fun...

Off topic...Marine Sergeants go by Sergeant or Sgt but never Sarge. That is army dog lingo.

I am a Gunnery Sergeant (GySgt) or Gunny or Gunz...but NEVER Sarge.

Merry Christmas all,

Gunny New River

Never any Dis respect to any Service man ! Just ignorance ! I checked with CSS and they told me the Billet Brake is aluminum but has a steel sleeve inside with the threading and quite capable of being Permanently Silver Soldered or welded by a good welder! 

Thanks Gunny!

• Like 1