New AK Shotgun That Takes S12 Mags (DDI)

DDI has been dropping hints over on the AKFiles for a while about a new product that they will be offering.   David just announced that it will be a 12 gauge rock and lock shotgun that takes S12 magazines.   They are also producing their own mags as well.

People are still speculating as to the country of origin, but it is being imported.  Apparently it will have a left side charging handle, ambi AR style selector and AR stock.  It also features a peep sight on the top cover.   I'm not a big fan of those features, but I'm glad to see another AK shotgun on the market and another source for magazines.

These could be a run of custom Veprs, Furys, or something else entirely.   The introductory price is supposed to be $600.00

There are supposed to be photos released next week at some point.

Here are a couple of teaser shots he posted...

ZONVxmw.jpg

dd02_zpsymrugrz3.jpg

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A nice plus is that if these are well received, it opens up another market for our good friends at CSSpecs.   It must have been a real bummer for them when S12s were put on the ban list.  They investe

Naturally, we'd all like to see genuine factory Saigas imported again, but in the meantime it is good to see the free market seeking to provide viable alternatives.

The rep I talked to was pretty clear about the DDI 12 being from a different Chinese manufacturer. Almost bought one today just to get a first hand look.   There may be yet another Chinese IZ-109 cl

Posted Images

A nice plus is that if these are well received, it opens up another market for our good friends at CSSpecs.   It must have been a real bummer for them when S12s were put on the ban list.  They invested a bunch of money in giving us the S12 magazines we asked for, so if these shotguns become popular it could be a great thing for them.

• Like 9

A nice plus is that if these are well received, it opens up another market for our good friends at CSSpecs.   It must have been a real bummer for them when S12s were put on the ban list.  They invested a bunch of money in giving us the S12 magazines we asked for, so if these shotguns become popular it could be a great thing for them.

THIS. It's dumb seeing a stand-up company get shit on because of ridiculous circumstances.

And I also agree with the "more the merrier" posts. The safety lever has had many different fixes and solutions to make it more user-friendly, but it would be hard to beat a factory left side. 

• Like 1

I was happy to hear the news.

We are probably going to snag one to confirm everything is the same. I may revamp the Saiga-12 magazines to reduce cost if these are going to be a regular import.

One thing I am greatly interested in, is who is actually making them. 

• Like 4

Still no word on who's making it, but here's a photo and description from Shot Show....

https://n2a.goexposoftware.com/events/ss2016/goExpo/exhibitor/viewExhibitorProfile.php?__id=1948

DDI12-image1-1448903478_tn.jpg

The DDI12 is the next evolution in 12 Gage Semi Automatic Kalashnikov styled action shotguns. It incorporates the following features: -Left side charging handle -Long sight radius including fiber optic sights -Ambidextrous AR15 style safety selectors -Saiga style magazine -Removable firing cartridge -Chrome lined barrel -Four position gas regulator -Reversible rear sling loop -Compatible with most aftermarket Saiga 12 accessories
Price: $749.00

Another piece of good news is that DDI claims that they will be stocking replacement parts for these too.  It would be nice if the bolts and carriers were compatible with S12s.

• Like 2

Naturally, we'd all like to see genuine factory Saigas imported again, but in the meantime it is good to see the free market seeking to provide viable alternatives.

• Like 5

Before revealing what the new product was, DDI was dropping hints that it was something that had been previously discontinued by another manufacturer.

That means that it's very possible that this is a redesigned Catamount Fury being imported by DDI instead of Century. 

If this is the case it will be a little disappointing, but on the other hand DDI is great about customer service so their warranty means a lot more than Century's would.

Supposedly one of the larger YouTube channels is going to be getting one for review in the next week or so.

• Like 1

Let us not forget or beloved S12 isn't exactly perfect... through the years, unintentional short barrels, non concentric barrels, broken carriers, so so many issues with the ports, old importer marks scratched out, toxic paper, did I miss anything. They didn't earn the name Vodka special for nothing.  Let's see what this thing turns out to be before we judge it.

• Like 3

Before revealing what the new product was, DDI was dropping hints that it was something that had been previously discontinued by another manufacturer.

That means that it's very possible that this is a redesigned Catamount Fury being imported by DDI instead of Century. 

Which is why I'm on the fence until more info comes out.

If this is the case it will be a little disappointing, but on the other hand DDI is great about customer service so their warranty means a lot more than Century's would.

Supposedly one of the larger YouTube channels is going to be getting one for review in the next week or so.

I highly doubt it has anything to do with a Fury, none of the parts got recycled. Hand guards, railed gas blocks with sling loops, rear sight blocks, railed top covers, ect.. The barrel is externally threaded. The magazine floorplate is similar to the keepshooting magazine with it wrapping the outside of the body. The pistol grip looks like a Molot or Yugo style.. There are just too many differences to be an updated Fury. Century arms still seems to be selling the FURY.

This could be made by a new Russian company that bought the rights to the saiga-12. Or any one of a few eastern european countries that make AK pattern firearms.

It could also be just a well made Chinese copy.. The problem with the fury is it was so roughly made. Some of the new 870 knockoffs coming out of china are arguably better made than the originals. China can make a good product if they feel like it or are being paid to do it. 

• Like 3

Well I have seen the exhibits of new Chinese machine tools, and they seem to be working hard to brush off the reputation that they make crap. The last meeting of the industrial giants that make up China's industrial market directed all members to increase quality and reduce quantity to increase profits while reigning in the over production issues that have been plaguing the manufacturing sectors for the last five years. It has been in news a lot lately.

So there is a chance that even if it is made in China that it could be nice.. However this thing kinda says 'made in Russia' in some aspects. So I hope someone in Russia bought the rights to the Saiga and are making in on rented Kalashnikov concern equipment or a similar arrangement. It is possible to step carefully around the state department ban provided you follow the letter of the law and none of the funds for the item are going to restricted people.

The shotgun shown looks nice, and DDI seems to be focused on quality, so I would imagine that it will be a quality item. However I have not seen it myself.

Let us not forget or beloved S12 isn't exactly perfect... through the years, unintentional short barrels, non concentric barrels, broken carriers, so so many issues with the ports, old importer marks scratched out, toxic paper, did I miss anything. They didn't earn the name Vodka special for nothing.  Let's see what this thing turns out to be before we judge it.

.... bent receivers, incomplete machining on gas regulators, and gas blocks. I am probably missing something.

• Like 3