New AK Shotgun That Takes S12 Mags (DDI)

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A nice plus is that if these are well received, it opens up another market for our good friends at CSSpecs.   It must have been a real bummer for them when S12s were put on the ban list.  They investe

Naturally, we'd all like to see genuine factory Saigas imported again, but in the meantime it is good to see the free market seeking to provide viable alternatives.

The rep I talked to was pretty clear about the DDI 12 being from a different Chinese manufacturer. Almost bought one today just to get a first hand look.   There may be yet another Chinese IZ-109 cl

Posted Images

I already had a VEPR 12......it really wasnt anything super special.......if fired slugs / buckshot reliably like any semi-auto shotgun does, as Im expectig this DDI to, and wouldnt fire birdshot even with all the suggested work / polishing / re profiling done on it. This time around I figured I would try something different, time will tell if its G2G or not

Edited by Sublimeon24s

I already had a VEPR 12......it really wasnt anything super special.......if fired slugs / buckshot reliably like any semi-auto shotgun does, as Im expectig this DDI to, and wouldnt fire birdshot even with all the suggested work / polishing / re profiling done on it. This time around I figured I would try something different, time will tell if its G2G or not

The V12 may have had some other things going on that no amount of gas work or action work would overcome. It happens and can be corrected. All of them have the potential to run 3 dram loads, assuming the barrel is not less than 14" or so and no critical parts are damaged/missing.

I'm interested. I LOVE the safety, rear sight, and LH charging. IMO all semi auto long guns should be LH charging. The STG 44 was LHC for a reason. I'm not biased against China. They can make things there...the question is just what the QC is like. If you can make iphones, smart TVs, xbox ones, split the atom, and launch people into space, you can make guns just fine. The question is, will they?

What I don't like is the stock set up or the front sight. I'd much rather see a front sight set up like a normal AK for max sight radius. On the stock front, it's horrible design to use a buffer-tube stock set up on a gun that doesn't functionally need it. It totally kills collapsible stocks by unecessarily limiting travel and cam make folding options much more expensive too...all for zero benefit. There are TONS of AK stock options now. Just put a regular old straight-back rear trunion on there and call it good. The only time people complain about AK rear trunions is when they are weird odd-ball crap. I would have also liked to see a 18.1" bbl. I know it's less than an inch difference, but for those of us in states where SBSs are completely banned, I'll take the minimum bbl length I can get.

lol.....goes to show why no gun appeals to everyone. I love the F/O front sight and the fact that I can put a collapsible stock on it without having to buy adapters, etc. 

Gun arrives tomorrow and my mil spec tube / CTR arrives friday.........ohhh yeaaaaa

Edited by Sublimeon24s

lol.....goes to show why no gun appeals to everyone. I love the F/O front sight and the fact that I can put a collapsible stock on it without having to buy adapters, etc.

Gun arrives tomorrow and my mil spec tube / CTR arrives friday.........ohhh yeaaaaa

I'm fine with F/O for a front sight, I just don't like my front sight mounted half way down the bbl. I also don't think of AR stocks as collapsing... more like slightly adjustable for LOP. ;) you are dead on that no gun satisfies everyone. I'd like to get one of these guns, they just don't appear to be perfect in stock form.

Speaking of which, I'm really not sure what I'd do with the stock. I'd never put an AR stock on there, that's offensive to my sensibilities. Prolly keep it stock or figure out a way to convert it to AK style... probably at great expense. Meh.

Edited by jekbrown

I'm hijacking my other post question to this thread.  Sossss .... as far as 922r compliance all we need to do is (optional) change out the receiver extension tube, (aka: buffer tube) then add a 1) US butt stock, 2) a US pistol grip, 3) a US S12 fore end, 4) a S12 muzzle device or US choke, and use high cap US mags for 5 + 6 + 7 = 7 and we add up to 7 US parts?  Would that be US 922r OK?  If sossss, seems easy to do.  I am very interested.  Where can my dealer find some of these?  Thank you.

Edited by HB of CJ   Thank you GunFun.  Not ADDING parts.  We are removing foreign parts and REPLACING them with USA parts.  Muzzle gadgets not on the list.  Dunno yet about the FCG or puck.  Got it and I stand corrected.

Edited by HB of CJ

I'm hijacking my other post question to this thread.  Sossss .... as far as 922r compliance all we need to do is (optional) change out the receiver extension tube, (aka: buffer tube) then add a 1) US butt stock, 2) a US pistol grip, 3) a US S12 fore end, 4) a S12 muzzle device or US choke, and use high cap US mags for 5 + 6 + 7 = 7 and we add up to 7 US parts?  Would that be US 922r OK?  If sossss, seems easy to do.  I am very interested.  Where can my dealer find some of these?  Thank you.

You got it backwards. You aren't adding US parts, you are supposed to be subtracting foreign parts.

Only parts on the list. Choke or brake ain't on the list for shotguns, and people have asked repeatedly on that issue.

Assuming they treat it like a Saiga 12, it has 15 imported parts OFF THE LIST and you have to get rid of at least 5.

remove any combo below of 5 or more and you should be good. These are the low hanging fruit. Your total imported needs to end up at ten or lower.

FCG (Trigger group) = 3 if it is swappable-that contained trigger pack might mean different pin spacing, etc.

Puck (Piston) =1 if it is swappable, it may be dimensionally different from the Saiga or Vepr style. -but that would probably be one of the fastest parts to get produced if it isn't a match for saigas.

Pistol grip = 1

Stock/ Buffer tube =1

For me this would be: $10 Puck, $15-25 Pistol grip, $24-65 FCG. Total compliance cost as low as $50. The stock looks OK, so I might not be in a hurry to swap it out. I think the fore end actually looks really nice. 

http://gunwiki.net/Gunwiki/BuildSaigaShotgunVerifyCompliance

• Like 2

This is a bit of an unknown at this time because I don't believe that ATF has made any statements about this particular shotgun.   It would be great if their interpretation of 922r was consistent, but history has proven otherwise.

For example, parts counts are different for Saiga Shotguns and Rifles.  They consider the "puck" to be the piston on a shotgun and don't count the rear trunnion as a part.

If it works the same for these shotguns as the S12, you don't need to swap out the thread protector, you just need to make sure that if you replace it, you do so with a U.S. part. 

Assuming you don't mess with the muzzle device, the way I interpret it is that you will need to get rid of 5 foreign parts.

Unless I'm mistaken, the easiest way would be...

1. Buttstock

2. Pistol Grip

3-4-5. US Magazine

Forends and pucks are also options assuming that they are compatible with the US S12 parts on the market.

Again, I'm not a lawyer or an ATF employee, so don't take my speculation as anything other than what it is...my best guess.

You got it backwards. You aren't adding US parts, you are supposed to be subtracting foreign parts.

I just saw GunFun's post after adding mine.  He's correct on this very important and often misunderstood point.

• Like 1

T minus 1 hour until I pick mine up.............I too want to figure out this 922r stuff b/c I really want to run only factory Izhmash 8rd mags in it

Right now, all I have as far as US parts to put on it are: Buffer tube / Magpul stock (assuming 1 part) and a Magpul pistol grip (1 part), so I got quit a bit to still swap

• Like 2

T minus 1 hour until I pick mine up.............I too want to figure out this 922r stuff b/c I really want to run only factory Izhmash 8rd mags in it

Right now, all I have as far as US parts to put on it are: Buffer tube / Magpul stock (assuming 1 part) and a Magpul pistol grip (1 part), so I got quit a bit to still swap

This is going to be really tricky with the trigger pack.  Ordinarily, you could drop in a G2 for 3 easy parts, but this is still a big unknown at this point.

You can play around with this tool, but I don't really see any way to make it work... http://gunwiki.net/Gunwiki/BuildSaigaShotgunVerifyCompliance

You might need to run CSSpecs mags instead for a reliable 8 round option.

Remember to keep in mind that the compliance page linked above is for S12 shotguns, so there's no telling if it's applicable at this point.

• Like 1

Yes, apparently this shotgun features and enclosed trigger pack so until we get good images of it, we don't know if it is easily replaced with a standard FCG.

In the photo below, it looks like it has the right axis pin holes, so maybe it would be an easy swap after all, I'm just not sure...

F1DDIAK12C.jpg

Saiga for comparison...

SGL12-3.jpg

Edit: Added S12 pic for comparison.

Edited by SGL
  • Like 1

Don't forget that the trigger housing itself is also a countable part.

Good catch. All the more reason to ditch the OEM trigger. That would put you at a theoretical starting parts count of 16.

• Like 1

I can tell you guys right now the trigger is diff then a standard AK trigger, ill try to get some inside receiver pics tomorrow

Sig brace this thing? lol

On another note.........is there a special tool needed to remove the castle nut? I have no idea how to loosen it to remove this tiny factory tube

IMG_0645_zpsxdrzgw5c.jpg

Edited by Sublimeon24s
  • Like 2

I can tell you guys right now the trigger is diff then a standard AK trigger, ill try to get some inside receiver pics tomorrow

Sig brace this thing? lol

On another note.........is there a special tool needed to remove the castle nut? I have no idea how to loosen it to remove this tiny factory tube

IMG_0645_zpsxdrzgw5c.jpg

How awesome would it be if it came just like that? You could add an AR pistol buffer tube and arm brace. Then chop the barrel and make a 26" overall length firearm. No tax stamp required!

Is the barrel chrome lined like the S-12?

Yes it does according to the owner of DDI.