Saiga 12 failure to...many things. Neewbie

HI guys,

Just got my first new saiga 12 to burn through shells rapidly, and not having such good luck.  I have read through the topics and made a modification based on what I thought was right, but it did not help.  I will provide as much detail as possible and maybe someone can point me to what to look as first. 

1. Purchased new unfired.

2.  Fired about 25 rounds 7.5 shot 1.125 oz dram equiv target loads.  FT cycle completely, stovepipe usually or complete FTE.  Every shot same.  Using factory gas plug, factory default setting.  Did not know at that time there was a setting on it. 

3.  Reaplaced gas block with autoblock v-block adjustable gas block from tac-47, on this saiga12 webstore.  based on research.

4. Adjust block all the way tight and fired 5 rounds same load no problem.

5. every round after that (50 rounds) regardless of setting of block, FTE, also fail to reset trigger.  SO the bolt is not going back very far I guess.  I tried to watch the action while shooting but my brain cant comprehend it that fast.

6.  I am using 7.5 shot 1.125 oz loads still, I am using OEM 5 round mags.  Came with gun new in box.  also used 2 other saiga 5 round Russian mags, NOT aftermarket.  All same exact issue.

7.  lightly oiled action with CLP, no change.

8.  Tried a 10 rounder aftermarket (promag)  added feeding issues to cycling issues and mag fell out 3 times.  Attribute to mag only, unrelated to issue I think. 

SO.

Should I focus on:  

A.  Clean it

B.  Shoot 20-30+ rounds of heavy load buckshot to knock it loose,

C.  CLean or enlarge gas port system using file as detailed on forums. 

D.  Clean and polish bolt/action  friction points.

Note:  I ONLY intend to shoot the target loads in the gun.  ever.

The S12 is a military weapon designed to eat all buckshot/slug loads without issue. The strong loads help the bolt carrier and other parts power through the rough spots in the action. It is not designed to function well on low-powered target loads. That said, it can be tuned to run reliably on target loads. You should first check if all your gas ports are visible and unobstructed, as some badly manufactured gas blocks cover a port thus degrading performance. You can enlarge the ports to let more gas in, and/or have the BCG and FCG parts polished for friction reduction. Also don't use loads less than 3 dram equivalent or preferably higher. As for magazines, use factory 5s and 8s, CSSpecs steel, MD-20 drums or SGM.

Edited by Heartbreaker
  • Like 3

All the way in is less gas on the factory plugs. When one of mine was new I had to back it out a full turn. You can either but a lot of buckshot and slugs and have at it tp break it in, which is fun or search for polishing the fire control group, etc, to speed up the break in procedure. Good luck, have fun.

OP, 1st post...welcome to the forum.

Before cutting, drilling, grinding, or doing any other irreversible act on parts that cannot be replaced, put down the S12, pick up your laptop, and spend a month rooting around this site learning about this platform. There is lots of good advice, but beware of a few baaaaad ideas. I did that when I was an S12 noob, and now, between my friends and me, we have four S12's that function flawlessly with everything from low power skeet loads up through 1 1/4 oz Federal magnum slugs.

• Like 1

Welcome.  Agree with JohnnyE  -  DO NOT drill gas ports until you fully understand what is going on.  it MAY be necessary, but rare.   I have built numerous  that run (after some minor work) flawlessly on Federal bulk  with  stock three and four ports -  no drilling required.

Number one answer with a new S12.

Shoot the hell out of it with 200-300 high brass buck/slugs.

This will help break the gun in, get rid of all those rough spots and smooth it all out.

It is designed for full power loads,

not low power.

Treat her like the Russian whore she is, use and abuse'er, ride her hard.

And don't be shy with lube, oil and grease as needed.

• Like 2