I thought the same thing. In order to get that color on the Turnbulls wouldn't it have to be steel? I didn't think that was possible with aluminum.

I agree, this is a first. So you can plate aluminum?

Thanks

Yeah, but once you get a scratch through the layers, it's cancer. To make stuff stick to aluminum, they first plate it with copper, since every metal wants to plate onto copper. However copper +aluminum = battery. That makes for galvanic corrosion blisters.

If you want the most mind blowing anodization, PK Selective is the shop that invented all the tricks. You wouldn't believe the stuff they've done. You would need billet rather than forged to get the homogenous metallurgy that makes for a clean anno job.

Yes, you can plate aluminum. Hell, you can plate plastic.

That's fragile though. They usually use a vapor sputtering process to give a ~ 1 molecule thick layer of something or other, then plate the goldish or chromish, etc. on to that. It blisters too. i.e. the door handles on cars or any chromy looking plastic toy.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Grown a bit tired of the lack of new AK options out there and have returned some focus back to building AR's with the current market being dirt cheap at the moment. Wanted to start a thread for ideas/

We've got quite a few talented people on the forum, that's for sure!   Nice lookin' gun.

Posted Images

There is a plating substrate that is deposited carbon as a base to plate to. I saw chrome plated plastic for motorcycle parts that were show quality using this, maybe the same could be done to aluminum? Black satin chrome would seem to be a good finish.

Edited by G O B

I want to see someone hog out a wood lower. Teak, Mahogany, Oak, or maybe Ironwood.

I was actually going for a "stone" look on the receivers in the attempt to tie in the whole Ancient Greek city state feel. When I think of Ancient Greece, I immediately think of their beautiful stone architecture, granted they used white marble and this looks more like granite. 1st matte coat applied. Should have it finished tomorrow, but won't build it out for a few more days.

LOL...I actually thought the rifle was awesome. Evidently, it was a joke for many of those in the comment section. This is why I tend to gravitate towards AK's....their stock configuration for many years was wood furniture. I tend to appreciate those that go outside the box and build an artistic rifle...something you put a little of yourself into. I have found that the AR crowd (those that hate every other platform other than ARs) can be the least open to different designs of their beloved black rifle. Would I carry the "Viking themed AR" into battle....probably not, but I would be danged sure proud to own it, especially if it came from my own imagination.

Nice find Chile. Thank you for sharing.

• Like 3

I like that AR lava build. It looks like a refined bakelite color. Woodsy. Here are some local dudes, all somewhat related, in the industry that started out with the old man (Sonju) and developed into aerospace and two weapons producers here in the flathead valley of Montana.

http://falkordefense.com/rifles/

post-24315-0-47571500-1453612628_thumb.jpg

Petra Steel .300

https://nemoarms.com/rifles/

post-24315-0-09615800-1453612814_thumb.jpg

Omen Match .338

Here are some interesting local barrels and rifles.

http://proofresearch.com/the-products/barrels/

• Like 2

Another satisfied Boyd's customer:

attachicon.gifimage.jpeg

attachicon.gifimage.jpeg

attachicon.gifimage.jpeg

attachicon.gifimage.jpeg

Wow now that is beautiful.....

...does this qualify as a custom AR build?

Absolutely!!!!!!!!!!!  That is sweet...   338 lapua?

Nope. A little bigger. 50BMG from Spider Firearms. They're winning matches all over the nation. The owner and designer, Dave, is a great guy and a shooter. They make a dedicated rifle too. I have one.  Here's mine. The 13th one he made. 29" barrel.

Ferret50Currentgrip_zpsxbjmqj9v.jpg

• Like 2

Unhappy with the receiver match to the wood. Although technically it is nearly a perfect match, the checkering on the PG and HG give the illusion of the set being darker and slightly redder:

post-37530-0-52228500-1453832772_thumb.jpeg

post-37530-0-10517100-1453832804_thumb.jpeg

So back to the drawing board on the receivers. Air brushed some darker areas in and around the creases, and I am liking it much better:

post-37530-0-97162700-1453833049_thumb.jpeg

post-37530-0-40516900-1453833090_thumb.jpeg

Will use a better camera once I get it completely finished.

• Like 6

Unhappy with the receiver match to the wood. Although technically it is nearly a perfect match, the checkering on the PG and HG give the illusion of the set being darker and slightly redder:

attachicon.gifimage.jpeg

attachicon.gifimage.jpeg

So back to the drawing board on the receivers. Air brushed some darker areas in and around the creases, and I am liking it much better:

attachicon.gifimage.jpeg

attachicon.gifimage.jpeg

That's really good looking! Only "problem", seems to be that the grip and stock have fairly large white/cream colored areas that make direct contact with the receiver color. If there was a way to blend those areas, I think it would be perfect.

• Like 1

attachicon.gifimage.jpeg

attachicon.gifimage.jpeg

attachicon.gifimage.jpeg

attachicon.gifimage.jpeg

Looks pretty bitchin to me!!

• Like 1

Unhappy with the receiver match to the wood. Although technically it is nearly a perfect match, the checkering on the PG and HG give the illusion of the set being darker and slightly redder:attachicon.gifimage.jpegattachicon.gifimage.jpeg

So back to the drawing board on the receivers. Air brushed some darker areas in and around the creases, and I am liking it much better:attachicon.gifimage.jpegattachicon.gifimage.jpeg

That's really good looking! Only "problem", seems to be that the grip and stock have fairly large white/cream colored areas that make direct contact with the receiver color. If there was a way to blend those areas, I think it would be perfect.

The only issue with that is the furniture goes from cream to dark brown. I started with the idea of a lighter receiver. It just doesn't look good with general darker feel of the furniture. The contrast is too stark.

The rifle and mags are finished. Matching up the scope and rings to the receiver now. Hope to have final pics by the end of the weekend.

What wood is that? [sorry if I missed the answer earlier]

Actually that is a good question. Honestly I do not know what species of wood they use. But it is laminated plys each stained a different color, glued together under pressure, and then cut and shaped into the stocks. What you perceive as grain is just a different layer with a different color exposed in the shaping of the stock. The manufacturer is Boyd's Gunstocks and they do excellent work.

• Like 1