6 replies to this topic

#1 Fritzderkat

Fritzderkat

• Pip
  • 42 posts

Posted 31 December 2015 - 02:56 PM

Happy New Year, all.

I have a couple of topics.

First, I've recently purchased a side mount  from Carolina Shooters (SKU# UTG-MTU016-U978S, $49. 95) and a Bushnell TRS-25 red dot from Amazon.

At what range do you zero this sight? I've seen recommendations ranging from 25 yards to 36 to 50 to 100. As for iron sights, I have my converted .308 carbine dialed in at 100 yards and of course would like the red dot and irons to jibe. How is that done?

Second question:

I have a two-point Blackhawk sling connected at the rear of my telescopic Tapco butt stock and to a ring located below the forearm about 1 1/2" back from its fore end and 7" back from the end of the barrel. It works pretty well for my purposes, but when I sling it at the front of my body or the side, it hangs upside down. What kind of swivels do I need so it hangs right side up or is this even possible?

Much obliged for your input

#2 Fritzderkat

Fritzderkat

• Pip
  • 42 posts

Posted 31 December 2015 - 03:21 PM

Me again.

In examining the sling ring below the forearm, I see that it may be possible to remove it (?) and re-position it on an accessories rack at the side of the forearm. Anybody understand what I'm talking about and is it possible?

#3 Heartbreaker

Heartbreaker

Deep Fat Fry

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 950 posts

Posted 31 December 2015 - 04:34 PM

If you zero your red dot at 25 yards it will be fairly close to POI at 100 yards also.
  • G O B likes this
"Against logic there is no armor like ignorance." Lawrence J. Peter

#4 IronRonin

IronRonin

Advanced Member

• PipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 01 January 2016 - 02:18 PM

Hey in regards to your sling options, I use a SMG Tactical handguard with a "CQD Forward Sling Mount" positioned on the left side of the handguard.  This seems to be the best option for a properly positioned sling on the 308, considering the VERY limited availability of ANY DECENT handguard and front sling mount options.

"I didn't vote for him but he's my president, and I hope he does a good job." - John Wayne

#5 EZTundra77

EZTundra77

• Contributor
  • Pip
  • 92 posts

Posted 31 July 2016 - 05:10 PM

I use a one point mount on a standard QD mounts on a Bonesteel side fold hinge.  I really like that set-up.  Very quick to shoulder.  Not ideal for hike hunting of course.  I have different machines for that.  

#6 Rhodes1968

Rhodes1968

Top Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,630 posts

Posted 08 August 2016 - 01:07 PM

Slings are wholly a matter of personal preference I always use just the old two point GI slings on all rifles but wont say it is superior, gets the job done and does allow a lot of uses.

Sighting at 25m is fine as a step in the process, some tweaking at 100m and greater will be required to get it "right" but good enough is easy at 25. 308 is a fairly flat shooter.

Had the Japanese got as far as India, Gandhi's theories of "passive resistance" would have floated down the Ganges River with his bayoneted, beheaded carcass. -- Mike Vanderboegh.

#7 Netpackrat

Netpackrat

Raw Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,233 posts

Posted 10 August 2016 - 02:50 AM

Yay, zombie thread.

s308sneaky.jpg

Brownell's 1-1/4" Latigo Sling on standard Uncle Mike's swivels.  Stock Saiga front sling mount is no good; I used a 10-32 QD mount point, and a thin nut inside the forend.  There is actually metal reinforcement molded into the mount point, just the factory hardware sucks.  Rear mount point is tig welded on.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users