Red Dot Zero/Sling Swivels

Happy New Year, all.

I have a couple of topics.

First, I've recently purchased a side mount  from Carolina Shooters (SKU# UTG-MTU016-U978S, $49. 95) and a Bushnell TRS-25 red dot from Amazon.

At what range do you zero this sight? I've seen recommendations ranging from 25 yards to 36 to 50 to 100. As for iron sights, I have my converted .308 carbine dialed in at 100 yards and of course would like the red dot and irons to jibe. How is that done?

Second question:

I have a two-point Blackhawk sling connected at the rear of my telescopic Tapco butt stock and to a ring located below the forearm about 1 1/2" back from its fore end and 7" back from the end of the barrel. It works pretty well for my purposes, but when I sling it at the front of my body or the side, it hangs upside down. What kind of swivels do I need so it hangs right side up or is this even possible?

Much obliged for your input

Hey in regards to your sling options, I use a SMG Tactical handguard with a "CQD Forward Sling Mount" positioned on the left side of the handguard.  This seems to be the best option for a properly positioned sling on the 308, considering the VERY limited availability of ANY DECENT handguard and front sling mount options.

• 6 months later...

Slings are wholly a matter of personal preference I always use just the old two point GI slings on all rifles but wont say it is superior, gets the job done and does allow a lot of uses.

Sighting at 25m is fine as a step in the process, some tweaking at 100m and greater will be required to get it "right" but good enough is easy at 25. 308 is a fairly flat shooter.

Yay, zombie thread.

s308sneaky.jpg

Brownell's 1-1/4" Latigo Sling on standard Uncle Mike's swivels.  Stock Saiga front sling mount is no good; I used a 10-32 QD mount point, and a thin nut inside the forend.  There is actually metal reinforcement molded into the mount point, just the factory hardware sucks.  Rear mount point is tig welded on.