Chile Rellenos

6-12+ Large chiles
several traditional varieties to choose from, the most commonly available is the Pablano. 

In a pinch you can use a Hatch (popular in New Mexico), Anaheim or even Green Bell Pepper.

6-12+ Eggs
one egg for each chile works out perfectly.

Cheese
enough sliced or shredded to fill the chiles.
a good soft melting cheese is a must, a few good Mexican varieties are usually found in most large grocers.

Meat (optional)
shredded beef/chicken or crumbled sausage.

2 cups Flour

Roast chiles over high heat/direct flame to char and loosen skin.
Place in plastic bag to help steam the skin loose and make them easier to peel.
Peel, then you can make a slit in the side and either de-seed them or not.
Wash, dry and then you can fill with cheese (meat is an option).
Dust stuffed chiles in flour and set aside.

I use a toothpick to close the chiles.

Separate whites from yolks, whip whites till stiff, then whisk yolks into whites.

Heat oil in skillet or fryer, in a skillet you need enough oil to cover at least half the chile.

Dip chile in egg batter, cover completely, fry till golden brown.

Sauce
1 can Rotel
1/2 stick of butter
1 cup chopped onion
1 cup chopped bell pepper
1 heaping tsp minced garlic
sea salt, chile powder, cumin and season to taste.

Saute onion, bell pepper and garlic and seasonings in butter.
Add Rotel and simmer a few minutes.
Then I puree it in a blender and return to the pot and a low simmer.

100_9328_zpsgqi4ly6u.jpg
100_9329_zpswoggyu82.jpg
100_9333_zpsgdlrupuy.jpg
100_9336_zps1givogzc.jpg

100_9331_zpsvuwvne8s.jpg
100_9338_zpszwd8tqgo.jpg
100_9340_zpsup9ubqdb.jpg
100_9341_zpsfc6wp361.jpg

100_9342_zps6kiyxmdg.jpg
100_9348_zpsixvlvcox.jpg
100_9351_zpshjlecq3z.jpg
100_9353_zpseqyzjo6z.jpg

Money Shot
100_9354_zpsqoy8gyrv.jpg

Edited by ChileRelleno
  • Like 10

Damn those look good

And Im in New Mexico

Born-n-raised in SoCal & NW TX.

Always loved Mex/TexMex food.

Rented a room from one of my best friends, i.e. lived with a Mexican family for two years.

Learned a helluva lot about Latin Cooking from that family /friends.

Love to eat?  Better learn to love to cook.

I got it going on Bro!

Edited by ChileRelleno
  • Like 2

Thanks for the recipe. One of my favorite Tex-Mex places put dice onions in the cheese. Melting the cheese blanches the onions, so it's not sharp like raw onion, but not cooked to death either. Better than plain cheese. They went out of business, and I started making my own.

• Like 1

Thanks for the recipe. One of my favorite Tex-Mex places put dice onions in the cheese. Melting the cheese blanches the onions, so it's not sharp like raw onion, but not cooked to death either. Better than plain cheese. They went out of business, and I started making my own.

Yep, some onion is nice, try adding some spiced hamburger too, or chorizo, or , or, or.

All sorts of tastiness can be stuffed into these delicacies.

Try it sometime stuffed with Picadillo...  Yummy!

Horry Sheeet Mon!!!  Dayyumm adding this one to my file of "Chile's Recipes" right fuggin now.....

Ahem, yes of course I have one lol. You have as much fun cooking as I do bro.

..and me.

I'm sorry Chile, but you SUCK! biggrin.png

I want those so bad!

C'mon down Bro, I'll cook up another batch and we can eat them cold while fishing.

That sounds great. Maybe sometime.

• Like 1

Yep, some onion is nice, try adding some spiced hamburger too, or chorizo, or , or, or.

All sorts of tastiness can be stuffed into these delicacies.

Try it sometime stuffed with Picadillo...  Yummy!

Yup, that's where I'm experimenting. To me, there is something I like about chilie rellenos, how light they are because of plain cheese and a hint of onion, so the pepper comes through loud and clear. Meat and other goodness heavies them up too much for me, at which time I'd rather have a chimichanga or enchilada!

• Like 1

Dude, you turned me from a Mexi can't to a Mexi canwink.png . Chile Rellenos and Beef Enchalada are the two things I judge all Mexican restaurants by, but I can't cook in the kitchen for shit. Followed your thread tonight and crossed over to the other side. Thanks for sharing bud...good stuff!

• Like 2

Dude, you turned me from a Mexi can't to a Mexi canwink.png . Chile Rellenos and Beef Enchalada are the two things I judge all Mexican restaurants by, but I can't cook in the kitchen for shit. Followed your thread tonight and crossed over to the other side. Thanks for sharing bud...good stuff!

Hell yeah doit bro! I showed the recipe to my new babe and we're gonna try it too. She grew up in So. Cal. with a mom and grandmother who were both SW cuisine masters. May just have to take some over to her mother's and treat her to dinner.

Chile I gotta get some of my hot sauces out there to you man I bet you'd love em.

• Like 1

Gotta recipe for chile colorado? That's the standard by which i rate mexican food. I did half my growing up in toppenish/ yakima wa which is more mexican than mexico. Mostly I am tired of mexican food, but I always have room for chile colorado. 

• Like 1

Gotta recipe for chile colorado?

I do, but it is not a dish I make often, nor remarkably well due to lack of practice & refinement.

It is hard for me to find the necessary chiles Guajilo and Ancho in my area.

The tomatillos are hit-n-miss too.

A really good Colorado sauce demands the best ingredients and some love.

I do, but it is not a dish I make often, nor remarkably well due to lack of practice & refinement.

Thanks. Could you list what those are, followed by proportion steps and what to look for? It seems like a dish that is based on long slow cooking, but I could be reading that wrongly.

12 Ancho and 12 Guajila chiles

Lightly toast the chiles in a cast iron skillet or on the grill  *do not burn or they'll be bitter*

Remove stems, seeds and ribs, place in large pot, cover with 8-9 cups of boiling water, cover and let sit about 15-20 minutes.

Uncover and puree chiles in blender with about six cups of the water they re-hydrated in, save left over water.

Force puree through strainer to remove skin and pulp, mash well to get all the liquid possible.

You should end up with approx 5 cups of puree and 2-3 cups of water.

In a large stock pot blacken a small quartered Onion, 2 halved Tomatillos and 4 cloves of Garlic.

Puree in blender and add back to pot, add chile puree and enough left over water to achieve desired thickness.

Add 1 tbsp ground Cumin, 1 tbsp Salt, 1 tsp ground Oregano and 1tsp-1tbsp of sugar (to taste).

Simmer for half an hour and then cool and place in fridge for a day, this will let the flavors meld together.

(You don't need to do this, but I like it, so many sauces, chowders and such are much better a day later)

4-5 lbs of a good meat, I use either flank steak or similar and grill it for a good char.

Let it rest covered for half an hour and then chop into bite sized pieces.

Combine with sauce in the pot and simmer for an hour or two.

(You can also use any stew meat, just dredge in flour and the brown on high heat, simmer time will need to be much longer for meat to be tender.)

If you love a good Chile Colorado, please try my 'Chile's Chipolte Chile', it is a traditional Colorado sauce but made with chipolte chiles

Edited by ChileRelleno
  • Like 2

Saved to my recipe folder, which now got a special subfolder for your stuff. 

My google attempts failed to yield your chipotle recipe. That sounds like something I would like. I love chipotle peppers even though the fad has faded.

my new girlfriend thinks she is mexican on the inside and doesn't cook. 

I think Chile is about to become my long distance best friend. - Except it is a lot of work to do the recipes his way.