I bought a Saiga 12, put 200 rounds through it & noticed a few problems. Mainly, some shells wouldn't cycle. I tried turning the adjustment knob, but only the more powerful shells would cycle. Is something plugged up? Sorry, I don't know much about this gun except I know I love it! Also it stopped staying open on the last shot. Will a 3 inch shell work in it? I've been using 2-3/4. Wanting to buy a bunch of ammo, need advise. Wishing the cheaper stuff would cycle....

It is a military combat shotgun designed for full power loads, not low power.

Shoot the hell out of it with at least 200-300 high brass buck/slugs before trying get it to eat low recoil bulk.
This will help break the gun in, get rid of all those rough spots and smooth it all out, and perhaps make it easier for it to cycle the low power rounds.

Check your ports, 2, 3 or 4, are they unobstructed and what size they're.

Edited by ChileRelleno

Looks like a 3 port. Cleaned & oiled real good, worked the bolt a few hundred times. Had a little junk in the gas tube. Could see where settings 1 & 2 were doing. Looked like setting 2 would let more gas in? Searched this forum & found nothing. Searched Google & found threads from this forum I needed

Welcome to this very excellent Forum.  Of all the places I hit on the Internet ... this place is the default setting.  There are a whole lot of educated savvy individuals here.  I am not one of them.  Excellent suggestions already given.  Here are mine.  1) lube up heavy and hand rack and dry fire the shotgun another 200 times.  Take down and look for wear points.  You will also smell hot metal.  "You lapping in shotgun Russian style".

2)  Read the funny owners manual if you have one.  Good reading. 3)   Buy up some expensive 3" mag shells. Type does not matter.  Find the cheapest highest velocity heaviest bird or buck shot loads.  Get at least 200.  This will cost some money.  I have forgotten which setting is the most gas passing one.  The S12 is in the safe.  Consider a soft small pillow to padd your shoulder.  4)  Shoot off the ammo.  Get the gun hot.

It then should shoot off fine with the heavy shells. 5) Pull up a chair and grab a nice hot cup of coffee and read up on this forum.  A wealth of information.  Then start having fun considering how to properly modify your S12.  All of this is doable and fun.  Also expensive.  Welcome to the fun and madness of Saiga ownership.  Some of us have kinda gone over board with this stuff.  Enjoy.  Don't forget to smile and have fun.