I stopped by Buds gun shop in Lexington yesterday figuring I would have a look at some 45 acp Glocks. I get there and folks are parking on the grass and curbs because the lot is full. I think oh hey, maybe the gunny or hickok45 is here doing a signing. I get inside and there's number dispenser with a sign stating to take a number to see a sales associate. No special deals or offers, just everyday businees. I pull out 79 and after 5 minutes they call 21. I stayed for about 45 minutes and they only got as far as 30 something. 95% of folks were buying handguns, and looking like half were first time gun owners. One of the guys at the counter said it had been this way for at least a month, day in day out, so it seems to predate the EO talk. Anyone else had an experience like this at any of your LGS's?? I didn't realize there was this kind of buying going on right now.

I live in Ky between Buds and KY gun co. , and both of them are slammed . I don't  even bother trying to go on the weekends anymore as I don't like taking numbers . I did take my wife to the range the Monday after Christmas and had to wait 30 mins to get a lane and they were slammed and the shelves were bare the pistol section looked like a going out of business sale. I talked to a guy I know that works there and he said it had been that way since the middle of Nov. He told me 3 out of 4 people buying a pistol didn't even know what they wanted , he said it was like giving an educational course on every gun the sold , no one just looked at the gun filled out the 4473 and took it to the counter , everyone wanted to ask their  opinions  . He said he didn't mind helping people , but with all their questions and looking at so many different pistols in the same caliber that it really slowed down the process. He aid some of the people that came in didn't even know what caliber they wanted . Women are buying a Hell of a lot of guns I watched a women in her 70's and a woman in her late 20's buying , but they are buying so YAY

Yup

Went to cabellas to spend gift card.

The pistol case 80% bare. Heard sales guy tell someone that it's been like that for about 2weeks. They had 250 to be checked in and put out.

Panic and newbie buyers strike again. With other rumors floating around ammo next?

We are very lucky to have our own practically dedicated local friendly knowledgeable Class 3 and the usual special occupation tax manufacturer gun shop here in SW OR USA.  About 43N, about 123W.  He told us before Thanksgiving that 2015 was already his best year.  The place is packed and it seems everybody is new-to-us and buying something.  The owner is now so glad he did not sell the place.  He literally is running out of neat inventory and ammo and he had a lot stashed.  He does not even have time to work on the fun dealer samples.  He is talking about hiring on extra help.  We have a very white hat good guy Sheriff. Wow.  All US Code Laws And NFA Rules Apply.

When I went to the range last week there was a guy testing out a Ruger SP101 on the range he then bought, first time I've ever seen such a thing occur there but then again I could just be not paying attention whilst I'm shooting to the folks trying before they buy.

We have three mom and pop stores locally as well as Gander and Academy. No shortages (yet) here in Texas. Plenty of standard caliber ammo in all the stores and no sign of price gouging (as of yet). Used firearms are not as plentiful as usual but not scarce.

But .22 long is still in either nonexistent  or priced to the point of pain.

I stopped by Buds gun shop in Lexington yesterday figuring I would have a look at some 45 acp Glocks. I get there and folks are parking on the grass and curbs because the lot is full. I think oh hey, maybe the gunny or hickok45 is here doing a signing. I get inside and there's number dispenser with a sign stating to take a number to see a sales associate. No special deals or offers, just everyday businees. I pull out 79 and after 5 minutes they call 21. I stayed for about 45 minutes and they only got as far as 30 something. 95% of folks were buying handguns, and looking like half were first time gun owners. One of the guys at the counter said it had been this way for at least a month, day in day out, so it seems to predate the EO talk. Anyone else had an experience like this at any of your LGS's?? I didn't realize there was this kind of buying going on right now.

Simply put, fear sells. Gun manufacturers and dealers have carved out a massive business selling fear over the last thirty years. Fear of other people, fear of bans. "Buy it NOW at triple the price, or you may not get another chance!" is their sales tactic. I'm a 2A supporter don't get me wrong. But the gun lobby, the NRA, these dudes are selling fear, plain and simple. Don't get me wrong, there's something out there to fear. But they turn it up to 11 and laugh all the way to the bank. I'll never forget seeing $300 Mosins and waiting lists for .22lr back in 2007/2008. 

• Like 1

I think the situation is both simple and so complex it defies impartial analysis.

So put whatever spin on it as wished as that may be at least partly correct as there is no real panacea to explain it all. Get it while you can (fear) is valid, get now cause the world and likely the neighborhood is becoming a crap fest (fear) is valid, get it because the police are ineffective (fear) is true, get it now because some serious tyranny has begun (fear) is valid also.

In fact the only reasons that are not attached to fear are the love of sport, hunting, shooting, and the like.

No one is lying to people, the cause for fear is legitimate but that does not mean it is not a bonanza for the industry and they will use every opportunity to remind potential customers of the fears.

Immaterial, as it is all true.

Now pray these folks get some training and sufficient ammo cause without that it is debatable how much security has been purchased with that firearm.

I am not going to gripe about the prices of either, hell already have plenty and can meter my usage to adjust to whatever condition results from this.

See all those panics in the past were teaching us lessons that we well needed to learn, operating in shortage conditions.

Edited by Rhodes1968
  • Like 2