If I wanted to purchase a NFA item now, lets say a gun broker auction for example.

How does that exactly work? I know you have to wait up to 3 months or longer for a stamp

so what is the process on buying something like that. Do you buy the item and pay

the seller now and then wait until you are approved and receive the stamp. What happens if you do not get approved?

Does the seller refund your money? I have always wondered how that works in a auction type purchase or

for any purchase of a NFA item from a seller. If your not approved I would assume you would be refunded your

money on the purchase since it can't be transferred to you.

I believe most sellers make you pay first. 

My transaction went (somewhat) as follows:

1. Paid for item

2. seller transferred to local NFA dealer (required ATF approval)

3. Local dealer transferred to me (also required ATF approval)

I would think refunds are a case by case, and seller by seller basis. I'm sure most offer SOME type of refund, but I'm also sure there's some type of re-stocking fee

• Like 1

Pretty much it?  How a transferring Class 3 dealer would be found also enters into it.  Some sellers can provide the buyers within state stepping stone dealer.  Some put that burden upon the buyer if out of state.  Depends.  Usually the money changes hands first.  What happens if the buyer is not qualified by the BATFE remains a gray area regarding refunds.  Would probably depend upon and would be spelled out in writing before the purchase.

However within state I think (not sure) cans, sbr and sbs can be transferred from person to person with only the proper BATFE form being filled.  The money changes hands.  No Class 3 dealer needed.  Then the buyer waits for the new to him tax stamp for the item.  Once the tax stamp arrives the seller notifies the ATF and the NFA item is removed from the seller.   Then the item can be transferred to the buyer because the buyer now has the stamp.  Interesting indeed.

Or ... when the buyer gets the stamp the NFA item at the same time is deleted from the seller and added to the buyer.  Some clarifications here please.  I do not think 2 folks can at the same time have a tax stamp for something.  Either the seller or the buyer.  Not both.  I am not sure exactly how inside the state NFA transfers work without using a Class 3 dealer.  All US Code Laws And NFA Rules Apply.

Edited by HB of CJ

If you're getting into something like that I would assume you "mapped out" the transaction first.

My seller offered help if I couldn't find a dealer, but I thought I had found a reputable LGS (didn't work out so well). 

Money did change hands first. (It was a weird thing buying something that I couldn't take possession of for another 15 months)

If for some reason I was not approved, I believe the protocol would have been: my LGS would have had to sell it on my behalf. 

• Like 1

Do not be afraid to offer less money.  Lots of times the asking price has been inflated.  This happened to somebody I know kinda.  The longer the guy has had the NFA item, the more money he is going to make off of its sale.  Profit.  New stuff like cans are way over priced, but there you have it.  Basically a high tech computer designed muffler for a gun.

Elite Iron Suppressors.

If you go the short barrel whatever route, also understand that in today's market, you pretty much need to understand the item will be yours forever.  Not much of a profit motive.  Machine guns were quickly rising in value.  That may not be the case today.  Be warned ... once you start collecting tax stamps, there is no cure for the fun and madness.

All US Code Laws And NFA Rules Apply.  That is the usual legal disclaimer that NFA stuff is legal for us to own and bear up here in SW OR USA.  This includes local, county and state law.  A spendy hobby.  Volume hand loading quickly becomes a viable option.  Also fun.