Drum Mag Question

I have 2 of the MD-20 drums, and while fun, they are quite bulky. I was thinking about getting a couple of the Promag 12-round drums to see if they offer a better tradeoff between bulk, weight, and ammo capacity.

Can you insert a fully-loaded Promag drum with the bolt closed, or are they like the MD drums, where the bolt has to be locked to the rear before you can seat a fully-loaded mag?

If I remember correctly, the 12 round drum was alright. Unsure about seating on a closed bolt, but I imagine it would be difficult as well. I must ask, though, why not just pick up a couple 10 round AGP, 12 round SGM, or (if you want bullet proof mags) 8 round CSSpecs?  Drums are cool and all, but like you said, they are bulky and cumbersome. 10 round stick mags are much easier to handle, and you can certainly carry more stick mags than drums as a result.

I have 5 of the csspecs mags. Overall they are great (aside from a minor issue feeding 3" ammo that is being fixed by the manufacturer). They handle fine shooting standing or kneeling outdoors, but are a bit long to shoot prone or indoors, and it would be nice if the Promag 12-round drum increased capacity by 50% over the csspecs mags while still hanging down less than a factory 5-round.

My ideal mag would be a 12-15-round doublestack made by csspecs or someone with comparable quality, as long as it was reliable.

The Promag 12 round drum will only on an load open bolt. With all 12 rounds loaded, there is zero space for the shells to compress down into the mag. My experience with the 12 round drums has always been good.

Mike

• Like 3

My used 12 round promag drum has been flawless. I would have never gotten the thing if it didn't come in a lot. Its becoming my favorite, I need to get a few more.

For what its worth I just loaded it up and got it to insert on a closed bolt, first try. 100% unmodified bolt and carrier.

Edit. Ok the bolt was extremely hard to rack but possible and it deformed the top shell quite a bit but it did feed. I wouldn't recommend it.

Edited by Vance665

My used 12 round promag drum has been flawless. I would have never gotten the thing if it didn't come in a lot. Its becoming my favorite, I need to get a few more.

For what its worth I just loaded it up and got it to insert on a closed bolt, first try. 100% unmodified bolt and carrier.

Edit. Ok the bolt was extremely hard to rack but possible and it deformed the top shell quite a bit but it did feed. I wouldn't recommend it.

Did you buy my lot of 12-13, S12 mags last year? I had a PM12 in there along with an MD20. That little PM12 worked pretty good.

Edited by Mullet Man

Did you buy my lot of 12-13, S12 mags last year? I had a PM12 in there along with an MD20. That little PM12 worked pretty good.

Yep, that was me.

I had weld added to those two csspec mag tabs and they are perfect now btw.

• Like 1

Did you buy my lot of 12-13, S12 mags last year? I had a PM12 in there along with an MD20. That little PM12 worked pretty good.

Yep, that was me.

I had weld added to those two csspec mag tabs and they are perfect now btw.

Awesome. Glad it's all being to put to good use.