Got out to the range yesterday to try out the Mini Monster brake Mike sent me.  I'm not particularly recoil sensitive & noted no real difference with reduced velocity buck & maybe a bit of recoil & muzzle rise attenuation with full-power buck.

Remembered my (antique) timer & spare batteries for everything, except my camera.   Timer results showed no significant difference with low-power stuff(Fiocchi, 1150 fps advertised),  an average of 3 hundredths split times improvement with  full power (Estate, 1350 FPS advertised).  Bear in mind that I'm a little out of practice & these results may not reflect anyone else's.

Also tried some Federal 00 buck with the flite-control wad to see if there'd be any adverse effect like another muzzle attachment I've tried.  Worked as advertised, shot staying together out to about 12 yards, then assuming a more normal pattern spread from that point. 

So, I'm pretty pleased with it. Measurable improvement with stout loads & it looks like it belongs on a Saiga. It's a keeper. Thanks, Mike!

Got out again today with my Nephew, his son & fiancee.  A couple 5-yard Mozambiques with Estate 00 buck: 

http://i209.photobucket.com/albums/bb258/Hawk451/th_MVI_0029_zpsi6amxd8z.mp4

Kaboom avoidance:

Also brought along an AR pistol. Got a click instead of bang in the middle of a string.  Attempted an immediate 'tap-rack-bang' only to have a failure to go into battery. A brisk poke at the forward assist did not remedy this.  Hmmm... Cleared & stripped out BCG, found this in the chamber throat:

IMG_0040_zpsqijxhari.jpg

Perfecta 55 gr FMJ ammo, which I'd found to be adequate plinking fodder in the past.  I heard no 'pop', just a click. I'm assuming a missed powder charge. I'm amazed that the primer apparently had enough omph to drive the bullet into the throat of the chamber & begin to engrave into the rifling without making any significant noise.

It's enough to make me re-asses malfunction clearance procedures; I'm thinking any T/R/B that results in failure to go into battery means it's time to go for your back-up piece. 

Y'all DO carry a BUG, right?

• Like 1

Got out to the range yesterday to try out the Mini Monster brake Mike sent me. I'm not particularly recoil sensitive & noted no real difference with reduced velocity buck & maybe a bit of recoil & muzzle rise attenuation with full-power buck.

Remembered my (antique) timer & spare batteries for everything, except my camera. Timer results showed no significant difference with low-power stuff(Fiocchi, 1150 fps advertised), an average of 3 hundredths split times improvement with full power (Estate, 1350 FPS advertised). Bear in mind that I'm a little out of practice & these results may not reflect anyone else's.

Also tried some Federal 00 buck with the flite-control wad to see if there'd be any adverse effect like another muzzle attachment I've tried. Worked as advertised, shot staying together out to about 12 yards, then assuming a more normal pattern spread from that point.

So, I'm pretty pleased with it. Measurable improvement with stout loads & it looks like it belongs on a Saiga. It's a keeper. Thanks, Mike!

Got out again today with my Nephew, his son & fiancee. A couple 5-yard Mozambiques with Estate 00 buck:

http://i209.photobucket.com/albums/bb258/Hawk451/th_MVI_0029_zpsi6amxd8z.mp4

Kaboom avoidance:

Also brought along an AR pistol. Got a click instead of bang in the middle of a string. Attempted an immediate 'tap-rack-bang' only to have a failure to go into battery. A brisk poke at the forward assist did not remedy this. Hmmm... Cleared & stripped out BCG, found this in the chamber throat:

IMG_0040_zpsqijxhari.jpg

Perfecta 55 gr FMJ ammo, which I'd found to be adequate plinking fodder in the past. I heard no 'pop', just a click. I'm assuming a missed powder charge. I'm amazed that the primer apparently had enough omph to drive the bullet into the throat of the chamber & begin to engrave into the rifling without making any significant noise.

It's enough to make me re-asses malfunction clearance procedures; I'm thinking any T/R/B that results in failure to go into battery means it's time to go for your back-up piece.

Y'all DO carry a BUG, right?

That's scary, and yes, always.

• Like 1