I've been conversing with the creator of this beast.  lol

Wow.  Wondering first off if it will function with a good can.  It will need it.

It will have the standard .50 BMG thread pattern is what I've been told.  He told me Barrett has their own thread pattern (bastards....).  So your can will need those threads.

At the very minimum, it needs to do one of two things to succeed....

.... perform better than a Barret

.... cost far less than a Barret

ETA: Unless I am  mistaken, it looks like it is going to be priced around $7k. I'm not sure anyone who has that much money to spend on a rifle would pick this over successful combat tested design like the Barret offerings. It needs to cost no more than 50% of what a comparable Barret would be, IMO.

Edited by evlblkwpnz
  • Like 3

Those were my exact thoughts. 

• Like 2

If you want to get serious about shooting a 50 BMG, you buy a single shot bolt action.

These mag fed 50's are for showing off at the range. This one especially, if it will even ever work.

The serious long range match ammo will only fire out of a single shot and not fit in any mag as it is longer

than standard ball ammo. I love my .50 and I love my AK's, but this thing is a joke.

• Like 1

Whenever I see this thing I just hear "KILL... ME..." in my head in a pained, gurgling voice. 

You are aiming at the wrong spot wink.png

Touche. I meant more that it reminds me of some sort of miserable Frankenstein's Monster that should not be and thus is in constant pain. I think the exact voice I hear saying it in my head is from a tv series where an Alchemist  makes "chimera that can talk" however all this chimera will say is "kill me". [turns out it was made by combining his wife with the family dog, and when he's hard up for cash he does it again with a new pet dog and his daughter.]

• Like 1

I know a guy who's making a 20MM Vulcan single shot rifle.

I'm not sure what it's going to look like, but here's one Mark Serbu is making:

https://youtu.be/y2nWO4P5vEY

Here's one from Anzio next to a 50 BMG:

20mmwith50a-1.jpg

...and here's the REAL big boy:

A 20MM rifle makes a 50BMG look like a .22LR

https://youtu.be/gPhSxDwhTIA

Edited by patriot
  • Like 3

Whenever I see this thing I just hear "KILL... ME..." in my head in a pained, gurgling voice. 

You are aiming at the wrong spot wink.png

Touche. I meant more that it reminds me of some sort of miserable Frankenstein's Monster that should not be and thus is in constant pain. I think the exact voice I hear saying it in my head is from a tv series where an Alchemist  makes "chimera that can talk" however all this chimera will say is "kill me". [turns out it was made by combining his wife with the family dog, and when he's hard up for cash he does it again with a new pet dog and his daughter.]

I agree, it is visually painful. However, I'm not sure how else an AK in that caliber could look. Part of me wants to see it succeed and the other part of me hopes to never see one in person. It needs a head shot.

• Like 1

ETA: Unless I am mistaken, it looks like it is going to be priced around $7k. I'm not sure anyone who has that much money to spend on a rifle would pick this over successful combat tested design like the Barret offerings. It needs to cost no more than 50% of what a comparable Barret would be, IMO.

Exactly what I was thinking except for one thing. The Barret is proven in combat, like you said it's been tested. This AK50 would need some kind of impressive record before it could be perceived as better, no matter how good (or bad) the design actually is.

50BMG is only 14,000 ft/lbs

Oh, is that all?

LOL

ETA: Unless I am mistaken, it looks like it is going to be priced around $7k. I'm not sure anyone who has that much money to spend on a rifle would pick this over successful combat tested design like the Barret offerings. It needs to cost no more than 50% of what a comparable Barret would be, IMO.

Exactly what I was thinking except for one thing. The Barret is proven in combat, like you said it's been tested. This AK50 would need some kind of impressive record before it could be perceived as better, no matter how good (or bad) the design actually is.

50BMG is only 14,000 ft/lbs

Oh, is that all?

LOL

Proper trials and testing would be assumed for the "better" status. I highly doubt it could ever even come close to matching the Barret offerings, much less best them. I was just trying to be nice and give it a chance to be whatever it may in the minds of others ;)

• Like 2

ETA: Unless I am  mistaken, it looks like it is going to be priced around $7k. I'm not sure anyone who has that much money to spend on a rifle would pick this over successful combat tested design like the Barret offerings. It needs to cost no more than 50% of what a comparable Barret would be, IMO.

Speaking of Serbu, he has a semi-auto .50 in the works. I believe retail is going to be around $7-8k as well. Another promo picture I seen from him shows he's offering a $900 .50 single shot. The big drawback: screw breech. 

Not a serbu? I have heard nothing but positive comparisons between his and the barretts. Looks to be a lot of gun for the money, but not cutting any corners.

We had a (stage gun) at a rocky Mountain nationals...it was a serbu and it started slam firing when loading

They were not able to fix it, and  that part of the match had to be thrown out.

At the time several people familiar with the gun did not have anything good to say about it.

I have no idea about reviews people have written about it

I only know how Barretts belonging to friends have performed, and what I learned from handling the serbu and its untimely failure during a match .

It could have been one in a million failure, who knows.

• Like 1

That's why I asked. I figured you would have experience with both.

I haven't been reading comparative reviews, etc. since I am not in the market for a 50 BMG anything.

I just remember what folks who have tried both say. I recall Tony Rumore particularly as a fan of the serbu.