Yesterday I was watching our usual plethora of bird feeder thieves, and decided to off one for general purposes.  Put a .22 pellet through her shoulders and she scampered 10' before falling to the ground.
I let her sit out there for awhile and her friends definitely took note, but alas, they'll be back.

Not ones to let anything we kill go to waste, little Ms. Nutkin was skinned, gutted and butchered.  My son laid claim for his lunch and today I cooked it up for him.

Pan Fried & Oven Finished Squirrel
1- however many squirrels for however many people.
Generally 3 squirrels per adult is a hearty serving.
Flour
Salt
Bacon Grease

Normally I would fry some onion with it and add some other spices, but my youngest boy is kind'a picky, so plain it was.

Cut up squirrel, dredge in flour, brown in skillet, wrap in foil, bake at 350' for 30-45 minutes.

100_9398_zpsl5op9n9i.jpg
100_9404_zpsalzksb6q.jpg
100_9405_zpsfqmzkmh6.jpg
100_9406_zpsr7ajpi6o.jpg
100_9407_zpsuwdqgp1y.jpg
100_9409_zpsuderirrb.jpg

Edited by ChileRelleno
  • Like 6

Squirrels to me are different from rabbits, though I've heard others compare them.

I think it's just from a loss of what to compare them to...  They taste like.... Squirrels.

Really depends on what they're eating the most of, Acorns, Pecans, Walnuts, berries, garden vegetables...  You name it.

Whats in season for them to eat affects flavor.

That said, right now ours are chowing heavily on acorns, resulting in a very pleasant nutty flavor.

• Like 2

The first few squirrels I ever tried eating I never removed the scent and musk glands on (because I didn't know about them).  They weren't bad taste wise, but I'm wondering now if they could have been better? :unsure:

Pictures where they are supposedly located:

http://www.backwoodsbound.com/xsquirrel2.html

• Like 1

Haven't had squirrel in years. I need to remedy that  next year maybe. Definitely not like chicken.

What I'd like to know, the first guy who ever ate chicken; when they asked him what it tasted like, what did he say?

• Like 2

The first few squirrels I ever tried eating I never removed the scent and musk glands on (because I didn't know about them).  They weren't bad taste wise, but I'm wondering now if they could have been better? unsure.png

Pictures where they are supposedly located:

http://www.backwoodsbound.com/xsquirrel2.html

I only bother with glands on adult males, especially in their breeding season.

I always had to shoot three.  Two for me and one for Goldie my Yellow Lab.  You know you live in a nice place when it do signify when your dog ... is barking up the wrong tree.  Yumm yumm. smile.png

Edited by HB.  I really need to learn to proff read.

Edited by HB of CJ

Haven't had squirrel in years. I need to remedy that next year maybe. Definitely not like chicken.

What I'd like to know, the first guy who ever ate chicken; when they asked him what it tasted like, what did he say?

He said it tasted like pheasant...

• Like 2