It seems like we are living in a time of anything goes in the gun market. The more the obscure the better.

Its like a race to see who can build the biggest most ridiculous gun ever. Anyone else notice this?

I really wonder if this is out of fear that we may someday very soon lose our rights to bear arms so

it's just a wide open race to build whatever while you still can…..or is it a ploy by gun manufactures to

get noticed and get their name out there. Or is it, that there is actually a market out there for all the yahoos

that actually think Zombies are real and that the biggest baddest gun on the planet will somehow help

them survive the end of the world. 021.gif

I got to shoot a Barrett light 50 from the hip and shoulder at a Class 3 meet here in SW OR USA.  Heavy and hard to shoulder like a BAR.  Recoil was very brisk to say the least.  Like my S12 with max buckshot.  It was the muzzle blast that made it a no go.  Yikes!  Headache for hours even with plugs and muffs.  All US Code Laws And NFA Rules Apply.

Here's my Ferret50:

Recoil isn't bad. Plugs and muffs are a must.

DON'T shoot prone or gravel. The backblast is bad for the scope and you'll get a faceful of rocks. ...ask me how I know.

Also, DON'T lie in the pickup bed with the muzzle out over the tailgate. You'll lose all your rear lights when you fire. An acquaintance of mine did that.

Backstop MINIMUM is ten FEET of packed earth. Don't shoot hard targets unless you know EVERYWHERE the bullet AND rock fragments are going to go.

Ferret50Currentgrip_zpsxbjmqj9v.jpg

Not mine.

FullPak.jpg

Believe it or not...it's AirSoft.

• Like 2

My point was 50 is the biggest

And I DO love cannons!!

They are super cool!

PS most tank breaks are very similar on 50s

some with holes instead of baffles are less effective

PS PS    I did know of a friend of a friend who shot a 50  off the roof of his dodge truck.

New windshield

Felt recoil is a big shove. Keep your mouth closed to help prevent concussion headache. I try to time my shots to no more than 1 a minute. The overpressure is worse prone. Off a shooting bench it's not as bad, but it WILL clean off a bench on either side of you. A roof over the firing line makes the noise a LOT worse. 

I don't think a suppressor would help with recoil except by added mass. The brake I have on mine makes it easy to shoot. It's not nearly as bad as you'd think. My setup is ~33 lbs. NOT something to hump through the woods. It's loads of fun to shoot 5gal buckets of water with. Turn them upside down and shoot close to the ground. They take off like a rocket due to hydrostatic shock. I usually have time to get out from behind the rifle and watch 'em come back down. Water filled 15 gal poly drums are even more fun. 

• Like 1

Cans are great on heavy guns.  I shot a .338 Lapua prone without a can and then some kids were allowed to shoot the same gun with a can.  Heavy shock wave and lots of dust without the can, almost no muzzle blast, very little dust movement with the can.  Much more pleasant and would be much stealthier if you had to use if for real.  

Doug

• Like 2

from time to time we get prairie dogs on one of our properties 

We shoot them with the 50, shoot about 10 inches low or so at the mound,

Not every time but sometimes it shoots the dog 20 feet into the air.

great fun!

I used to load match ammo for 50 but now i shoot what ever is cheapest

• Like 2

great fun!

Same thing works on groundhogs.

A 50 cal shot filled bullet can be made from a 7mm Mag casing and Corbin bullet dies. I've heard of them being used on groundhogs at looong range.

Sort of a really huge Glaser Safety Slug.....or eating a live grenade.

• Like 1

huh, good thing I've never shot a .50bmg or else I'd most likely have damaged something I didn't mean to. And I always heard you want you mouth open in order to not cause all sorts of pressure-related injuries?

Closed is better so you don't overpressure your sinuses. Concussion headache is no fun.

The mouth acts like a funnel for the shock wave. Your nose is open ACROSS the shock wave, not in line with it like your mouth.

Safety goggles are ALWAYS a must too.

...and for God's sake DO NOT fire a 50 cal from Hesse/Blackthorne/whateverthehelltheycallthemselvestoday. You could wear it on your face.

They're the ONLY 50 permabanned from FCSA sanctioned matches.

Edited by patriot
  • Like 2

...and for God's sake DO NOT fire a 40 cal from Hesse/Blackthorne/whateverthehelltheycallthemselvestoday. You could wear it on your face.

They're the ONLY 50 permabanned from FCSA sanctioned matches.

Safety Harbor  "SHTF" 50 is a no-go.  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jXGwk2EH1CQ

Stick with good products when firing artillery.

• Like 1

great fun!

I used to do something similar with frogs and a .300 Win Mag; shoot a few inches under their lily pad...