Saiga 223 to Steyr Aug!?

My discussion is just this. I have always been interested in the Steyr Aug. I think it is the only beautiful looking bullpup there is, anyone care to disagree? There is a bullpup conversion for the ak47 that exists. I think with some steyr stuff (magazines, stock sets(they can sometimes be found on ebay), forward handgrip and scope mount thingy) and some ingenuity you could make a very close replica and save thousands. You could use an electronic trigger, but that is highly undesirable for reliability. The bummer is you probably need to make a new receiver from scratch(ouch) and trunuions. But, if you are good with metals this is no problem (FYI you can make any gun from scratch (receiver) as long as it falls within current laws). Any pictures of the interworkings of the steyr would be awesome. Also, I heard on the sks site siminov.net that two round burst is legal for civilian use. I highly doubt this, but if you go to the bullpup section and click on a link a guy explains that he asked the BATF and they said two round burst is acceptable. Again I highly doubt this, but if it was, you could use and electrionic trigger system with a solenoid and microcontroller to have three positions Safe Semi Two Shot Burst. That would be pipin. I think I might manage that with a pic microcontroller. But, If you are an engineering genuis, you could make from scratch a mechanical selector mechanism with two shot burst as an option. Possible you could take an existing Safe Semi Three Shot Burst and, if you knew what you where doing, alter it to two shot burst. Then again, most likely that website is wrong and two shot burst is illegal, if so disregard. What peaves me is that his gun was banned merely from appearance. It is no more leathal than a any AR15 clone. Oh well die AWB die! and screw you Dianne Feinstein!!

That guy is honestly either full of it or misheard the explanation.

Any gun that can fire two shots with one activation of the trigger is a machine gun and is illegal, unless you buy it legally, register it with ATF, etc....

Don't let the guy pull your chain if you want more info check out the many fine websites ou there about legal machine gun ownership.

just buy the kit at http://www.k-var.com/subcatmfgprod.asp?0=211&1=213&2=-1&6=1 if they have it to convert to bullpup.

might have to send it in to ak usa for the work or another smith shop.

your not going to save money on this project. if you or anyone dared take a perfectly good steyr receiver and wrecked it I would not be happy nor would the Aug owners that want spare parts and have hard enough time finding them. those things dont grow on trees and they are not cheap to get.

feal free to take airsoft parts all you want leave the real deals alone.

just did a search on ebay got 1 page load of items and majority of it is airsoft. only 2-3 real items 1 is a manual the other a barrel and another is a stock.

if its a firearm and not some airsoft or paintball toy it cannot be full auto or burst in the US without being a registered preban firearm which requires a $200 tax. you have to go through the third degree to get the nice toys even then your state laws have to allow it and local pd chief has to take your fingerprints and sign off on the paperwork then you get to go through background check usually take anywhere from a month to three if really backed up or the paper work gets miss shuffled dont expect the ok for close to a year. AWB is just tip of the iceberg.

I wasn't trying to make fun of your idea (I guess you were talking to the other guy?) because I have no clue about they Steyr AUG and convesion info but I do know that the guy who said 2 round burst is legal is either 1. lying or 2. un-knowledgeable or 3. insane.

For all we know whoever told you that could be trying to get people to do illegal things to get them in trouble with the ATF (sounds ridiculous yes but the ATF has done it before).

good luck.