Single-shot only .410?

My Father-in-law is insisting that a .410 Saiga that his Dad bought at his local gun store was/is unable to fire in semiautomatic; was only able to reload via manual manipulation of the carrier.

Long story short, the gun has been passed on to a niece of his, and the story still remains the same. Personally, I don't believe this, unless his Dad had gotten ahold of a California gun with a weird configuration.

What do you guys think?

Edited by Photoguy
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

This could be as easy as someone lost the gas piston! If it is a newer model that shares the 12 ga piston, it is an easy fix. If it is an OLDER model that has either of the obsolete gas pistons - you need a REALLY GOOD machinist!

We need pics or we are just blowing smoke - in the dark!

• 3 weeks later...

Maybe it's one of the early ones from the early '90s? I bought one of those used for $300. Jammomatic. Hardly ever got more than a round or two out of it in semi. Lots of fixes here on the forum for that problem. Best fix is getting some parts out of a newer one . Yeah right! BUT! I actually found a  410 parts kit on GunBroker for $150(Buy Now). I didn't mess around and jumped on the Buy Now. Saiga parts are like gold. And that was before the Ban. Now it's running like a clock! With a K-Pup stock it's my go to "bump in the night" gun. Has two ten rounders taped together with another in the robe pocket if needed.