tried knifekit making and screwed up on the gluing of the handles on.... filled teh cutler rivet withthe glue and it didnt smoosh out of hte rivet like i thought.... just bent over and made a mess....  was looking for relplacement rivets but most places i saw (track of the wolf?) wanted like almost $2 a pop, not paying that!!!  il post a pic in a bit

Go to a hardware store and pick up some 3/16 brass rod. Cut it into 2" pieces, and file a taper onto the end. Hammer it through and hacksaw it off so that it is about 1/16" proud on either side of the handle. Polish a chunk of steel for an anvil, and a ball peen hammer face. Now hammer with a bunch of light taps on each side. Be sure to hold the handle flat to the anvil and be striking exactly perpendicular. This will keep them from going egg shaped. File closer, then do some planishing strikes. you is done. Cost $3-4 for enough brass rod to do a pile of knives.

• Like 5

^^^^ THIS

Make an anvil by drilling a shallow divot in a piece of steel that will clamp tight in your vice. Use dremmel to finish divot to the finished rivet head shape.

Use a SMALL ball peen to shape the rivet - like GF said. Do one side a LITTLE , flip it over and work the other side. Repeat until the heads are NEARLY finished. To finish, grind the end of a bolt to flatten it, make a divot to match the anvil. Use this a a rivet set to finish the heads. Use bigger hammer than the one you used to peen the rivets, and like before, turn the rivet over a couple times while finishing. Take care that the anvil and set match, and polish them as any tooling marks will transfer to the rivet. When I did my last set, I polished the anvil and set with scouring powder and a chop stick.

GOOD LUCK!

• Like 1

+1 What he said about flipping. I forgot to say that, but it is important. Otherwise you may mushroom one side enough to split the wood before the other side is expanded enough.

If his scales are already drilled and counterbored for cutler's rivets, the DIY suggestions above aren't going to work real well.

http://www.texasknife.com/vcom/index.php?cPath=52_36

Or try Jantz Supply.

thanks for the link, thats spot on...

in future will prob use my own wood, huh-uh huh-uh.... so brass solid is great idea... i use alum. rivets on aircraft all the time, dont know why making my own didnt occur....good call!

• Like 1