are they really javalinas or are they feral pigs?

This ^^^

Not even the same animal. If you do live in far south/ west 1/3 of Texas then yes, because that is the only place in Texas where javelina (actually collared peccary) are found. The population is estimated at around 100K. Every other single county in Texas has feral pigs. Their statewide population is estimated at 3 million.

https://tpwd.texas.gov/publications/pwdpubs/media/pwd_bk_w7000_1669.pdf

Edited by JAG
  • Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Once you have all the proper permissions and permits - this might be kind of fun:  

Apparently we have some cold-hearted bastards on this forum. 

Thats serial killer level sick psychotic shit.   You should go have a vasectomy 

Posted Images

The green antifreeze in hidden bowls. But I would never do that.

My little brother worked nights, neighbors dog barked all day, they refused to do anything about, little shit laid a 30 06 out the bedroom window and solved the problem...

Do they eat meat? Crushed up glass in a meatball has taken care of many animals around here. If not, maybe crushed up glass in some bread.

• Like 6

Just remembered this one.

Most large zoos sell lion and tiger piss. Just a FEW drops of this around the perimeter will run the problem away! This is how the large mansions in Rock Creek Park in DC keep the deer out of their compounds.

What Attracts Them?

Javelina usually visit homes to find food, water or shelter.

Food for javelina can include lush vegetation and many flowers and succulent plants that people place around their homes. Birdseed, table scraps and garbage can also attract javelina.

Water can be provided through chewing on an irrigation hose or by drinking from a pool or other water source around a home. Javelina will also dig and roll in moist soil during summer days to keep cool.

Shelter can take the form of a porch, an area under a mobile home, a crawlspace beneath a house, or any other cave-like area. Javelina will seek shade during summer days and warmth during the winter, if these areas are not properly secured.

What Should I Do?

If javelina have become a problem or have caused property damage, see the suggestions below to deal with the situation. Do your part to keep javelina healthy and wild because their removal almost always means death. Work with your neighbors to achieve a consistent solution to the problem.

To discourage a javelina, immediately

Scare off animals by making loud noises (bang pots, yell, stomp on the floor, etc.); throwing small rocks in their direction; or spraying with vinegar, water from a garden hose, or large squirt gun filled with diluted household ammonia (1 part ammonia, and 9 parts water). The odor of the ammonia and the nasal irritation it causes will encourage the javelina to leave. Avoid spraying ammonia in the eyes as it may cause damage even at this low concentration. Ammonia should not be used around wetlands because it is toxic to fish and amphibians.

If the animal is confined, open a gate, have all people leave the area, and allow it to leave on its own. If it is still there the following day, contact a wildlife control business or the Arizona Game and Fish Department.

If you see javelina while walking your dog, avoid going near the javelina and quickly take your dog in a different direction.

https://www.azgfd.com/wildlife/livingwith/javelina/

DLT

The above is from a Google search. I like the ammonia part, that's why I asked if you have pets, kids etc. Seems like these animals need to be added to the high list. I wish you luck.

You might want to pick a few things from this list in the spring.....

http://www.petpigeducation.com/toxic-list.html

9363685.jpg

Toxic plants:

Foxglove (digitalis...hear medication)

Valerian (valium)

Rhubarb (Oxalic acid)

Bracken fern (Thiaminase)

Since it's in your garden, you're doing nothing wrong.

• Like 1

Wow.  Blessthefall, I am at a loss for words on your descriptions.  I had (have) a very hateful big brother that thankfully has mostly matured now (hell he should, he's 62).  The things he did...well, were bad.  Nuff said.  Anyway, I have done my fair share of 'kid crap', but nothing like what you and most of the others here have described.

Recently, we have had a very brave possum come wondering on your patio.  Normally, I wouldn't care, but my 3.5 year girl is just too damn curious for her own good sometimes.  So I purchased a have-a-heart trap from Home Depot and damn, if I haven't caught everything but the damn possum!  But that's good, as I have finally started to make a dent in the stray cat population where we live.  Lots of farm land 10-15 miles out to let them go. 

Point is, I am 52 years old now, and would not make a animal suffer.  That's just me. 

I use to get rid of chipmunks by filling a large tub of water up, placing a piece of wood up on the side as a ramp, and spreading sunflower seeds up it and in the water.  They would literately fall into the bucket and drown.  Didn't bother me, as I tried every damn thing else I could do to get rid of them.  They were chewing into our townhouse's wiring and insulation.  Cute, but destructive little shits.  I didn't then nor do I now consider that cruel.  I did what I had to do. 

Anyway good luck to you and I am sure you will make the right call. 

• Like 2

I have finally started to make a dent in the stray cat population where we live.  Lots of farm land 10-15 miles out to let them go. 

DON'T push your problem on someone else. Take them to the animal shelter. I've done it a time or two when I lived in the city.

Do they eat meat? Crushed up glass in a meatball has taken care of many animals around here. If not, maybe crushed up glass in some bread.

that is fucked up. I would rather shoot the animal than this, or the antifreeze solution. 

the animals are just doing what they do. no need to suffer for it - a headshot is not suffering though.

• Like 5

There are some great air rifles out there in .25, .30, 9mm/.357, .45  and .50cal that costs as much as a nice hunting rifle.

Many are specifically made for hunting and they're very powerful at short ranges, powerful enough to easily drop a hog or coyote at 25 yards.

Some can push a .50 cal projectile at speeds up to 650-700+  FPS.

They can be relatively loud, e.g. subsonic .22,  but they are often suppressed, no ATF extortion stamp needed.

Nice thing is is that most people hearing them will not recognize their sound as a projectile weapon, and thus are unlikely to become alarmed or nosy and call the police.

A well placed shot at night from very close range will drop them DRT, very humane kills.

A quick clean up and no one is the wiser.

But it is technically poaching and you could get in hot water, I would never suggest such activities.

I still say contact state authorities about nuisance wildlife destroying property and posing a danger to pets/people.

You pay taxes to them to come out and control the problem, i.e. professional hunters/trappers.

• Like 3

I have finally started to make a dent in the stray cat population where we live.  Lots of farm land 10-15 miles out to let them go. 

DON'T push your problem on someone else. Take them to the animal shelter. I've done it a time or two when I lived in the city.

IMO the shelter is actually more cruel. They end up being killed, but only after being locked in a cement room for a few weeks. A turkey load or a .22 and done is a lot kinder.

I'm definitely not in favor of needless suffering for animals. Probably my least happy moment was a cat I was told to kill that didn't go cleanly. (It was a stray that was killing our kittens.)

There are a few problems with any of the poison, glass, antifreeze methods. It's not target specific. Any animal can and will eat them. Including pets. That's negligence on a whole different level. You would also more than likely end up with animal cruelty charges. Lastly, it's plain cruel. Ever seen an animal die after ingesting antifreeze? I have. It's fucking terrible to watch. A slow, painful death. Just put a bullet in it and give it a clean, quick death.

Let me be clear, I'm not some tree hugging animal rights activist. I hunt, would love to hunt some hogs. Those things are destructive and need to be put down. Just do so in a humane manner.

• Like 5

I'm not gonna lie, people around here are pretty nasty. Had a neighbor that used to kill stray cats with an air rifle he'd stick out the window. Eventually he started using a bow and arrow. Must've been drinking or something one night, because he shot a cat with it, but left the cat on the front lawn, shot dead with an arrow stuck right through him and into the front lawn. Hell of a warning to the other cats I guess. Oh and we live in a semi-urban area too. 

The meatball thing is pretty brutal. Never did it myself, but my grandfather dispatched multiple annoying neighbor's dogs with it. Pretty agonizing for the animal but it is hard to detect and is a surefire solution. He took pleasure in this crap though. He'd catch squirrels in a have-a-heart trap, then take them into the garage and unload his frustration. Jab a screwdriver through the mesh of the cage and stab them to death, submerge the trap in a big bucket and watch them drown. Take a plumber's torch and burn them to death inside the cage. One time he showed me a pregnant possum he had caught, that gave birth in the trap. He smashed their heads in one by one with a hammer. I'll never forget the sound. 

Thats serial killer level sick psychotic shit.

You should go have a vasectomy 

• Like 6

I'm not gonna lie, people around here are pretty nasty. Had a neighbor that used to kill stray cats with an air rifle he'd stick out the window. Eventually he started using a bow and arrow. Must've been drinking or something one night, because he shot a cat with it, but left the cat on the front lawn, shot dead with an arrow stuck right through him and into the front lawn. Hell of a warning to the other cats I guess. Oh and we live in a semi-urban area too. 

The meatball thing is pretty brutal. Never did it myself, but my grandfather dispatched multiple annoying neighbor's dogs with it. Pretty agonizing for the animal but it is hard to detect and is a surefire solution. He took pleasure in this crap though. He'd catch squirrels in a have-a-heart trap, then take them into the garage and unload his frustration. Jab a screwdriver through the mesh of the cage and stab them to death, submerge the trap in a big bucket and watch them drown. Take a plumber's torch and burn them to death inside the cage. One time he showed me a pregnant possum he had caught, that gave birth in the trap. He smashed their heads in one by one with a hammer. I'll never forget the sound.

Thats serial killer level sick psychotic shit.

You should go have a vasectomy

Yeah, your grandpa is a seriously pathologically defective person. And assuming he exposed you to that as a kid? Two conclusions, he's a democrat and should be institutionalized.

We did once go Javelina hunting when I was about 17.  California high desert.  I only had a side by side 12 gage with buckshot.  Bad choice.  Should have had a semi auto or pump.  Got chased a little bit by a big little oinker.  Not fun let me tell you.  We slow cooked them.  Very tasty roasts.

• 2 weeks later...

Just remembered this one.

Most large zoos sell lion and tiger piss. Just a FEW drops of this around the perimeter will run the problem away! This is how the large mansions in Rock Creek Park in DC keep the deer out of their compounds.

So when you see someone at the zoo running around with a cup, shoving it under a tiger when it pops a squat, you know why.

If I put up an electric fence, it would be connected to a 15KV 60ma non-GFCI neon sign transformer.  That'll arc a good 3" to target with enough current to lay them out. (it can do you too so be careful!)  Got a few of those powering my Tesla coils.

But I'd get pics of the herd first to cover your ass before slaughtering them.

Want a cat shoot?   Plant a field of catnip, mow it, and get ready for some serious shootin!  You'll have every cat in the county there!

Edited by Capt Nemo

Want a cat shoot?   Plant a field of catnip, mow it, and get ready for some serious shootin!  You'll have every cat in the county there!

The previous owners of my 2nd house planted that shit in the garden. It smelled like cat piss all the time. Hard to kill too.