OK men, have been out of the gun making hobby for a few years.  Just gave my AR to my brother, so now looking to make a new one.  Any sites you can suggest for low priced parts would be greatly appreciated.  I know, I am not saying 'crap' parts, just reasonably priced parts.  I have found a few, but some of the sites I used 5+ years ago are either OOB or I can't find them any longer.  Thanks.

• Like 1
  • Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Aim surplus.   Kak   Primary Arms

In addition to the above I used Joe Bob’s and palmettostatearmory in the recent past, both seems to be solid vendors and ship pretty quick, that is, if they have the parts in stock which could be anot

Aero Precision upper and lower. Low-cost and great quality.

Posted Images

midwayusa.com

brownells.com

cheaperthandirt.com

amazon.com (not a great selection, but you can find some good deals--one vender is selling .300 Blackout barrels for ~$100 and they are decent)

blackthorneproducts.com (they have a polymer upper receiver that's worth checking out if you want to make a lightweight carbine or pistol build)

eparmory.com (polymer 80% lowers good for lightweight/pistol builds, as well as aluminum 80% lowers)

I've used others, but that's the main ones I can think of offhand.

Wow, like the combo at Aero Precision.  Thanks for the suggestions.  I wish I could find that damn surplus store I bought my stuff from years ago, but can't.  The prices were great and quality was superb.  Great thing about being older....I have learned to take my time and not get into a hurry. 

I'll probably be parroting places others have stated but here you go.

Aero, KAK, Palmetto, Anderson (My Anderson trigger almost feels like a two stage but it's not.), black rifle arms (I recommend them if you just have to have a gas piston AR upper.), LaRue (for somethings, depends on what you want.), AIM surplus, Bravo Company (bought my upper for a nice price.), Radical Firearms (Bought a 7.5 inch upper for a pistol build, the video reviews are good, price is good, Customer Service is good.), Midway, Brownells, etc.

The list goes on but the deals are out there.

I have been really pleased with my Palmetto State stuff. Built a complete rifle from them when they had a blemish sale on the FN-barreled mid length uppers. Could never find the blemishes on either the upper or lower. The rifle has run 100% from day one on steel cased ammo, even runs on it dry with no issues, but obviously I don't prefer to do that.

I will probably be building an A4 clone from them next year, hopefully by then nitride 4150 20" A4 uppers will be available.

Edited by mancat

Radical firearms out of Texas makes the most cost effective to highest quality ratio uppers ive seen on the market. I have one 556 pistol upper and one x39 pistol upper, both run like raped apes. Accurate as well. Nice melonited barrels.

• Like 1

Thank you everybody and a great thread.  I have built over 200 AR15 rifles but that was over 20 years ago and I have also gotten completely out of date on the new stuff.  Never dreamed all this new cool stuff would even be available.  Now seriously considering re entering the fun and madness of the AR15 platform.  Considering a true Left Hand HB 20" semi precision Rifle with the A2 rifle butt stock.  Humm. :)  Hee hee hee. Yikes also!!

I'll probably be parroting places others have stated but here you go.

Aero, KAK, Palmetto, Anderson (My Anderson trigger almost feels like a two stage but it's not.), black rifle arms (I recommend them if you just have to have a gas piston AR upper.), LaRue (for somethings, depends on what you want.), AIM surplus, Bravo Company (bought my upper for a nice price.), Radical Firearms (Bought a 7.5 inch upper for a pistol build, the video reviews are good, price is good, Customer Service is good.), Midway, Brownells, etc.

The list goes on but the deals are out there.

Much to my chagrin, my Anderson trigger makes my DD trigger feel like shit. It has your typical heavy milspec pull but it's smooth as butter.

I suspect but can not prove that nearly all the OEM type fire control group parts for AR15s today began life as rejected USGI parts.

And you would be absolutely wrong.

You claim to have been an armorer so I would expect you would know military fire control components are very different from civilian AR15 parts. 

• Like 1

jsesurplus.com is also a good resource. A few months ago I picked up some "gunsmith special" carbine barrels for $5 each.

2 of them had broken index pins, and 2 had gas ports mis-drilled. The broken index pins were easily replaced, and I fabricated a slightly-longer-than-standard gas tube for one of the barrels with mis-drilled gas port. The other barrel will probably have to be cut down and repurposed as a pistol barrel. But even it it's a total loss, 3 decent barrels for $20 and some tinkering is unbeatable deal.

And unforgiven should know that most of the OEM fire control group parts begin life as rejected M16 parts ... then are legally modified to AR15 specs.  This would include the hammer, disconnecter, the non modified disconnecter spring and probably the hammer (Edit: TRIGGER) as well.  I  have no dog in this fight, but please understand that you can not win this one.  Respectfully.

Edited by HB because he is an old coot and used the wrong word. smile.png

Edited by HB of CJ

And unforgiven should know that most of the OEM fire control group parts begin life as rejected M16 parts ... then are legally modified to AR15 specs.  This would include the Hammer, disconnecter, the non modified disconnecter spring and probably the hammer as well.  I  have no dog in this fight, but please understand that you can not win this one.  Respectfully.

Respectfully

no parts are modified, they are completely different parts, by the way disconector springs are identical in both auto and semi.

As a MANUFACTURER of AR15 s I purchase these parts by the thousands from various industry partners who specialize in these parts.

Dealing directly with the industry that makes both versions of fire control parts, I know exactly what I am talking about.

Anyone who thinks different can call colt or DPMS or Rock River or Bushmaster or Remington any other MANUFACTURER of your choice.

And you will get the same answer.

Any person who is actually familiar with auto and semi components would realize what you are claiming is ridiculous

You could grind the tail off of an auto disconnector , and in the same amount of time you could edm five correct parts

You could butcher an auto hammer so it would not function as an auto part, but it wouldnt be a semi part.

You could silver solder a block into an auto trigger to prevent the disco from working, but its still a completely different part.

You can NOT make an auto selector into a semi safety!!!! totally different part!!

AND the presence of ANY AUTO PART IN A SEMIAUTO modified or NOT is go to PRISON TIME!!!!!

the one and ONLY exception is the bolt carrier

IF you doubt me ...call BATF

What are you talking about?  Again I have no dog in this fight.  Also for what you have just said indicates a lack of understanding about word definitions and the old sad story about Colt made SPI AR15 parts and todays AR15 parts.  Also I am curious why you appear to be so sensitive about all of this?  Also I would respectfully suggest but not demand that you talk to your parts providers.  Respectfully.

I apologize

I have a low tolerance for claims That are patently false, and react with facts.

And I dont have a clue what your inference to colt or sp1 parts is supposed to mean.

do your self a favor call BATF tech branch  before you do, or get someone else to do something really stupid.