Anybody have the Primary Arms ADS sight?  Is there an internal reflection in yours that cuts diagonally across the view?

The reflection is there all the time as long as any light is getting in either the front or the back.

post-4831-0-37151600-1454717818_thumb.jpg

That's weird.  I would have bet money that it was just an inside issue.  If it's a real problem, call or email Primary Arms on Monday and they'll issue you a return shipping label and send you a new one as soon as the old one is in the mail.  They have awesome customer service and will definitely take good care of you.

Here's a post from ARFCOM with a reply from Primary Arms on the same topic...

MARSH1  [industry Partner]
5/30/2011 5:32:14 AM EST
Originally Posted By arcticwarrior:
I just purchased a Primary Arms Micro Dot With Fixed Base (Gen. 7) and mounted it today on my Ruger 10/22. I have a question as I'm not all that familiar with red dots. When looking through the sight, the bottom right corner of the scope is blocked off, that appears normal as that's where the guts of the scope are. I also see the upper left corner is completely drowned out by a red glare. I handed off the rifle to a couple of buddies that happened to be over for a BBQ, they both commented and asked "is something wrong with your scope?" They saw the same disturbing red glare in the upper left corner of the sight when looking through it. Can anyone please advise further?

Sounds like a normal reflection. You see the same question come up about Aimpoints.
Look at the target with both eyes open not into to it. After a short time you will see a dot on the target and nothing else.

If it does not work out for you I will be glad to take it back.

Marshall

Here is a similar series of comments from The Bang Switch Blog...

http://www.thebangswitch.com/primary-arm-advanced-micro-dot/

oh no a year ago

I just bought one. I notice a diagonal hue/line a crossed it in certain lighting angles (e.g. sun to back). Some type of reflection (interior or exterior) or something other. It is still usable and I will run it til it breaks.

I also notice numerous reflection in the lens. Still usable though but still like wtf...? I am not a fan of the coatings scope manufactures put on the lens. Especially on the exterior surfaces. Not sure if these are exterior or not.

One issue is that to sight it primary micro ads in, the arrow directions were exact opposite. To make the dot go up one had to turn it the opposite direction of the up arrow. Same with the right to left. Don't know what is up with that.

Rugrash oh no a year ago

If you mount the sight on the weapon, you shouldn't see any strange reflections. If you are looking at it by just holding it in your hand and at different distances/angles you will see things like you are describing. Also, the dot should be just bright enough to see it. If it is too bright it will cause starbursting and you will get some weird looking reflections that way too.

With regards to the directional arrows, they should be used to adjust the point of impact downrange, so it should be opposite. You can always call the customer service people if you need to.

Thanks!

oh no Rugrash a year ago

I have not a lot of use with the sight yet. To note, I see reflections while shooting. One is the red diagonal line/hue. Others are 'mirror' reflections, e.g. seeing my truck behind me or other. Both these occur at various lighting and angles, but not always.

Understood on the starburst effect. Usually do the lowest setting on a white background during mid day, ~4-6 setting.

Regarding the sight arrows, if I shot low and needed to adjust poi up, I turn the top knob in the 'up' arrow direction. This did not work. I had to turn the opposite direction to adjust the poi "up".

I will consult PA customer service. They are great to deal with when necessary. Wish it was unnecessary.

It's interesting that they would say it's normal.  It feels a little like they're pissing on our shoes and telling us it's raining.  I have 9 other red dot sights, including 3 Primary Arms MD-06.  None of them have that bright reflection.

If it's "normal" for the ADS I will not be buying any more of them as I had intended to.

Most illuminated optics (red dots and scopes) will exhibit some kind ot artifacting if the reticle brightness is turned up unnecessarily high. In most cases, you can turn down the brightness and find an illumination level where the reticle is visible but the artifact is not. Try turning down the brightness before assuming the the unit is defective.