Older brother called and asked that I keep his 91 fatboy. He wants it used rather than collecting dust. He already owns six harley's and basically says he doesn't have time for them all. What do you guys think? It's pretty much all stock.

Hmmmm

the more I think on this the more it becomes less clear -- is your brother anal retentive?  Does he care if you won't wash or polish it to his criteria?

I guess if the strings are loose, I'd say why not

Edited by Odd Man Out

That's the whole thing. It's not in his nature to do these things. I'd rather outright buy the bike, than to just store and ride it. Anyway, it's a nice orange bike. The wife has wanted me back on a bike for many years now. I almost bought this same bike a few years back, but since I was unemployed, I couldn't. Instead I told my brother about it and he bought it.

Except in emergencies, never borrow stuff you can't afford to replace outright. Better to make him an offer, or take it as a straight up gift. Then if you drop it or a minivan backs over it at the grocery store parking lot, etc. there is no bad blood.

• Like 2

Except in emergencies, never borrow stuff you can't afford to replace outright. Better to make him an offer, or take it as a straight up gift. Then if you drop it or a minivan backs over it at the grocery store parking lot, etc. there is no bad blood.

Good suggestion.. Paying for it is the single best way to avoid family problems in the future.

Nah, its a hog. His bro has six extras. Ride it like its stolen. He'd probably just laugh if his brother dumped it and survived. Serious as shit on the new tires. That much weight stagnant on any tire makes them FUBAR and vibrate/fail. How long did it sit?

If you love your brother and he loves you, a bike is just a chunk of shit that goes fast. If he's a sketchy asshole, he might want you to blow the pistons on his leaky gasket big twin so you pay for a new evo. I guess I just hear brother and think blood and trust. Not that way in all tribes.

• Like 1

Ask him about what he expects.

My father-in-law gave me his S&W .44 Magnum "Dirty Harry Gun" years ago. He asked for it back a decade later. I always considered it his. No problem.

After telling him he could have it back, I haven't heard a peep about it in two years. Too funny.

Not like he could enjoy shooting it in Liberal Hawaii.

Edited by Sim_Player
  • Like 2

After extensively discussing this with my better half, we both decided to tell my brother thanks, but no thanks.  We both agree that there is simply too much liability involved with the deal.  If something were to happen to the bike/me/him, there could be issues with his family and mine.  I've seen crap happen before and don't want or need any new drama in my life.  Thanks for weighing in on this guys, many of you brought up some very valid points and I appreciate your input.  

• Like 2