So I've decided to build another Ar15. I'mean going to utilize the new Shockwave blade arm brace that's totally not a stock.

This will be a range toy/fun gun. I want it to be cool that's number one. Number two is to be reliable. I'm torn between a 7.5" 5.56 gun or a 4" 9mm glock mag fed "pistol" the cons of the 9mm is basically it costs a little more. The 556 cons is they are finicky when they are so short. I don't want a 10.5 556 so don't suggest that.

I'm looking at the spartan 9mm lower sold by Joe Bob outfitters. I'm thinking if I go with 9mm one advantage will be getting my wife and younger shooters to learn shooting. While the 556 will probably be a little louder lol. So what's the guys here think about ar15 pistols?

Is a suppressor an option for you? You could make a badass 9, or even a .45 (almost always subsonic) with a Quarter Circle 10 lower (uses Glock mags). Honestly, I think the answer to your question is going to be based solely upon personal opinions, and mine is of the SBR/suppressed pistol caliber.

A can is not out of the question. It will be in the future. But that circle 10 lower is 100 bucks more than the spartan from joebob. I think I'd stick with 9mm instead of 45 because of ammo cost.

I'm pretty well decided on the 9mm

For sure get the cheaper one if you want 9mm. The Quarter Circle 10 is good if you wanted .45, and I just threw that out there as an alternative, and since .45 is subsonic, whereas 9mm requires dedicated loads for subsonic. I only threw the idea of a suppressor out there because, I don't know about you, but I find short barreled firearms to be somewhat obnoxiously loud, even with ear plugs. Besides, it's always fun to be able to run a firearm without hearing protection. 

Either way, it'll be cool whichever way you decide to go. Don't forget to take some pictures when done to share with the rest of the class. biggrin.png

None of the above. Go for an 8" .300 Blackout. It's a lot easier to get running reliably than a 5.56 that short, and .300 Blackout loses little velocity going from 16" to 8". Which means it's fun to shoot at the range, but it's actually practical and viable as a HD/SD gun. You don't have the ginormous fireballs and flashbang grenade-level concussion to deal with shooting it. SGAmmo.com has FMJ .300BLK for $0.50/round in cases of 1000, and if you reload, you can roll cast bullet rounds for less than half that.

I built an 8" .300 Blackout pistol, and it and my Saiga are my "things that go bump in the night" investigation kit.

I have an RGuns 7.5" .223 upper that shoots 2" groups at 100yds with an unmagnified Aimpoint red dot.

It feeds & cycles reliably.  I've also had good luck with the Hardened Arms 7.5" uppers.

Fun level & accuracy are way beyond that of a 9mm AR. 

Yes the 300BLK is a viable option.  I only lose about 75FPS from a 16" to an 8.5".

For short range this is a good caliber although more expensive than .223.

... but for flat shooting & overall accuracy, I'll still take the .223.

Edited by LonnieP

Short range is kind of a given, since we're talking about a pistol rather than a rifle. Head to head in a pistol with supersonic loads, .300 Blackout beats .223/556 handily in flat shooting and kinetic energy on target, because .223/5.56 loses so much velocity from short barrels.

.300 also gives you a viable subsonic option that is ballistically equivalent to .45ACP. It's fun even if you don't have a can, but of course a can adds to the fun immensely. Factory subsonics tend to be expensive, but you can reload them for about 10-15 cents each.

Accuracy is far more a function of barrel quality ammunition quality, and how well the upper is assembled than any differences intrinsic to the caliber. A good .300 build can be just as accurate as a .223/5.56.

I've had a 300 blk it was an aac upper with 8 inch barrel or 8.5 can't remember exactly. When I reloaded it was worth it. Ibe since sold my press so I'm going to stick with a CHEAP factory round that's the reason for 9mm and as far as the blast from a pistol size rifle round I wouldn't think that'd apply to 9mm. I honestly want to go shorter than 8 inches. And I'd I was going to start back reloading I'd go with a more extreme wildcat. Something subsonic with a 38 cal rifle bullet. Here's a pic of my old 300.photo4.jpg

I've pretty much decided it'll be a 9mm with a 4" barrel. I think I'll run a pig flash hider aka krink cone. I have a question though. I have an idea to buy both a 5" and 10" free float handguard then I could get a fake silencer 8" long which is comparable to the aac ti-rant. I'm thinking I could just remove the screws holding the handguard to the barrel nut and if I buy the two handguards from the same maker exchange the long tube with the fake can to give me a 12" overall length barrel and 10" handguard. This would help the safety issue of shooting your fingers off, the would be beneficial to the inexperienced shooters in my family.

Then the gun could be silenced if I end up getting a can. But with the two set up I'd almost have two guns.

This 9mm is a pic I found online. Basically I want this but with the shock wave blade arm brace. And I'd remove the vertical grip. 2u55idj_zpsauo20dw3.jpg

Edited by Ak Monty