Hello:

It seems like many new models of .30 caliber rifles these days come available in either .308 or .300 Win. Mag., but not .30-06. 

I admit my ignorance of the ballistics of these three main .30 caliber cartridges, but it seems like good 'ole .30-06 is found only in typical bolt-action hunting rifles with thin barrels. One exception is the Remington 700 "Long Range" model. 

Many reloading manuals mention how .30-06 is superior to .308 when one wants to use heavier bullets. It simply can hold more powder than the .308 cartridge when needed.  

I understand how the .308 is an inherently more accurate cartridge at least up to 500 yards, but I assume if you know what you're doing you can be sure of hitting a farther target with .30-06 than with a .308. However, it seems like .300 Win. Mag. has taken over the 500 - 1,000 yard arena. 

Just wondering. I'd hate to see the .30-06 disappear because it's a very versatile cartridge when it comes to reloading. I personally wouldn't mind having a Savage 110 FCP in .30-06, but again I assume there must be a reason why it hasn't been chambered for that cartridge. 

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

45 GAP. It was born obsolete.

F  O  C  U  S  30.06 F  O  C  U  S

The 30-06 is still the most versatile cartridge in the world.  It I could have only one rifle for all hunting for the rest of my life it would be an 06.

Posted Images

We have some very rich friends out here in SW OR USA who are into belt guns.  Sometimes we will get a call to come over and help have fun loading up and linking 1000 rounds of good old rompin stompin 30.06.  Just a small supply.  I believe they have some sort of cool collectible right plate Browning 1919A4 water cooled belt fed machine gun ... in 30.06.  Hardly obsolete.  Just ask the various targets.  All Oregon State, US Code Laws And NFA Rules Apply.

Obsolete would mean it no longer serves it's function.

Disuse is a more fitting description as the round performs its function as well as it ever did but other rounds are selected for chambering for economic reasons.

It is heading into disuse is completely true, just as the 54R is also but still completely functional.

We knew this would happen to both once milsurp supplies played out.

• Like 4

Only caliber that works from 55gr to 220gr it is not as popular as it once was, due to .308 covering from 55gr to 180gr, and less people who need the heavier bullets.

That said, it has been around 110 years, and will be around another 110 years!

• Like 5

Are there any examples of a caliber becoming obsolete?

Even though I still shoot it, I would have to say .357 Maximum...and all the other Supermag calibers .375, .445 are all obsolete.

I shoot my Dan Wesson .357 Supermag more than anything. Probably my favorite gun of all time.

I have bagged quite a few bucks with this revolver. The .357 Maximum cartridge packs a lot of punch.

There are still a few people who load the Supermag rounds, but your definitely not going to find them for sale on any shelf

any where in the country.

post-46572-0-16869100-1455509448_thumb.jpg

post-46572-0-54976200-1455510382.png

Edited by SHOTGUN MESSIAH
  • Like 2

Are there any examples of a caliber becoming obsolete?

Not really given I cant think of a single one that does not work.

Obsolete would be using a Vietnam era fire control radar system in a 2010 environment, it just wouldn't perform its function due to the altered ECM environment. It is obsolete.

A 35 Wildcat will still drop a deer.

As for disuse there are tons of those though I doubt anything has really disappeared from all use yet.

Economic viability on the other hand can be derived by just checking out what ammo is consistently and reliably available for a decent price.

As for the "manliness" of 30-06 I really hope you folks are kidding.

Manly men doing manly things with manly ammo?

Edited by Rhodes1968

If the barrels weren't so thin [the look like pellet guns online at least] and if the had larger than 5 round mags I'd be pretty tempted by a Remington 7600 in 30.06.

Yeah, and they don't have any place to mount a laser. 

• Like 4

If the barrels weren't so thin [the look like pellet guns online at least] and if the had larger than 5 round mags I'd be pretty tempted by a Remington 7600 in 30.06.

Yeah, and they don't have any place to mount a laser. 

LMAO

• Like 2

I've got 10 rnd mags for my 740 and 7400.

Only problem is they don't field strip for cleaning.  That's my biggest complaint!

• Like 1

I've got 10 rnd mags for my 740 and 7400.

Only problem is they don't field strip for cleaning.  That's my biggest complaint!

Duly noted, though I was kinda drawn into the idea of a Remington 30.06 rifle by the prospect of a pump action one due to the unique nature therein of one

I suppose my real question is why are fewer rifles chambered for .30-06? It seems like all you here about are .308 and .300 Win. Mag. rifles.

For example: the Savage 110 FCP is not available in .30-06, but it is available in .308 and .300 Win. Mag.