• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

45 GAP. It was born obsolete.

F  O  C  U  S  30.06 F  O  C  U  S

The 30-06 is still the most versatile cartridge in the world.  It I could have only one rifle for all hunting for the rest of my life it would be an 06.

Posted Images

I suppose my real question is why are fewer rifles chambered for .30-06? It seems like all you here about are .308 and .300 Win. Mag. rifles.

For example: the Savage 110 FCP is not available in .30-06, but it is available in .308 and .300 Win. Mag.   

80% of the people who buy that are people who want a flashy "sniper rifle" Those guys fall into either "I only want what the military uses" or "I am going to be shooting over 1000 yards, I need the power. only the biggest for me. I'm thinkng of getting a 338 lapua, instead. (and I have yet to shoot past 100 yards ever.)"  for the guys who actually want a relatively affordable precision long range rifle, both work, but they would probably be happier with something with a better BC based off of the 308 cartridge. Simply put, the gun is made mostly to be sold, and the people who like the idea of a 'sniper rifle' pay for. It's a bit more rifle than the 308 cartridge warrants.

I can think of 3 people who have asked me my opinion on this rifle for them, who fit that exact description. Everyone and his brother needed a 1000 yd+ capable firearm after American Sniper came out. I tried to tell them to practice with the rifles they had at 1-300 yards before they dropped all the money on a long range setup. At the stage of their skill and practice, it seemed unlikely they would stick with it long. In the off chance that they shot enough to be ready to move further, I think they would have a pretty good idea what they would want to shoot on their own anyway.

A person who has never shot a rifle past 100 yards sounds pretty silly giving advise on precision rifles or ballistic coefficients

Just sayin

I am far from an expert with the 3006!

I did shoot DCM/CMP matches for a few years with an M1 Garand, using military issue match ammo.

I have not hand loaded 06

We shot 200 to 600 yards depending on the match

I was "fair " at it, but the "old guys" were absolutely stunning in their knowledge and shooting abilities!!!!

Its a fantastic cartridge and will be here when all of us are gone.  

• Like 1

Heh dont we all from time to time.

Lot of folks have no reasonable access to longer ranges, heck the longest shot at any accessible range here in south LA is 300yds unless another has opened.

The demand for it isnt enough I guess given the longest shot one can expect in these "jungles" isnt much more than 100yds unless you are watching a pipeline and then those deer tend to haul ass across those, or least the ones that dont end up at the butchers do.

But a lot can be learned about longer shots from a 22LR at 100yds, not even close to everything but a lot.

Meh its fun and people learn best when things are enjoyable.

Besides laying down effective fire at 100+ yds with a 22 aint peanuts and might be real useful someday. Meh who knows.

• Like 1

No doubt 22 can teach windage and hold overs in a big way.

as well as all the shooting fundamentals. 

In my opinion its the top survivalist caliber, 

My grand daughters had spinning, falling, swinging and resetting 22 targets all across the back yard.

They would sit and shoot 3 or 4 bricks in an afternoon.

22 was $10.00 a brick back then

couldnt really afford that at todays prices

When I was in my early 20s (40 years ago), a buddy and I used to reload 30.06 with lighter weight bullets for prairie dog shoots.  I don't recall what gun he was shooting; mine was a Remington Model 700BDL with a 40mm 4X Redfield scope.  We got to where we could hit them pretty good at 200 yards shooting from the loft of a barn with the rifles sitting on sandbags on top of bales of hay.  The prairie dog town didn't go much beyond that distance as the farmer who owned the land kept it plowed down and planted in various crops throughout the year and there weren't many good vantage point from which to shoot farther back.  A 130 grain hollow point makes a mess of a prairie dog at 200 yards. I suspect I would have needed a considerably better scope to hit anything much beyond that anyway.  Several years later, one of my uncles who didn't have many years left after his heart transplant asked to buy my gun so he could bag an elk before he died.  I wanted to jut loan it to him but he insisted and I gave in.  I also did some extensive research on what might be a good round to load for his purpose. I loaded up two types; 168 gr/matchking HP-BT and 180 gr rnd nose flat base and let him decide which he wanted to use.  I had the gun zeroed in pretty good at 200 yards with the 168 gr before I let him take it.  A few months later, he called and said he had bagged his elk with 1 shot from about 300 yards with the 168HP.  Mission accomplished!

BTW; my uncle was an avid outdoorsman who was mainly into bow hunting but also had mad skills with all sorts of rifles.  He passed about two years after getting his elk.  I was very happy I was able to help him fulfill that part of his bucket list.

In my opinion its the top survivalist caliber, 

If you like eating rodents.

I've killed a lot of cottontail with 22s; taste like chicken.

• Like 2

Eating rodents is common if not absolutely necessary in most countries.

They eat bugs too

I wouldnt look down on them for doing it.

Rabbits are good, I suspect squirrels and nutria would be as well.

A member posted fried squirrel a little while back....looked pretty darn good to me.

A friend of my fathers was a smoke jumper decades ago, on a fire a black bear ran him up a tree and bit his boot.

He shot the bear six times with a little 22 revolver...in the face

The bear ran off and the found it dead the next day.

Underestimating a 22 is not bright 

• Like 1

Lots of whitetail deer get poached with .22's.

How many shots does it take.

One to the head.

Don't know if I believe the story but one of my coworkers claims his brother [who also works there but I've not spoken to much] shot a deer in the tear duct and killed it whilst squirrel hunting with a 22lr.

Lots of whitetail deer get poached with .22's.

Lots of hogs taken with a well placed .22LR too.

...but if you don't place your shot juuuust right, you'll piss it off and it'll come after you and try to kill you.

• Like 1

He didn't say HE never shot past 100yd.

Thanks for actually reading before reacting. It's becoming rare around here, and accordingly you don't look silly.

Eating rodents is common if not absolutely necessary in most countries.

They eat bugs too

I wouldnt look down on them for doing it.

Rabbits are good, I suspect squirrels and nutria would be as well.

A member posted fried squirrel a little while back....looked pretty darn good to me.

A friend of my fathers was a smoke jumper decades ago, on a fire a black bear ran him up a tree and bit his boot.

He shot the bear six times with a little 22 revolver...in the face

The bear ran off and the found it dead the next day.

Underestimating a 22 is not bright 

Another rodent I've had was actually some of the best tasting meat I've eaten. Beaver ham done up kinda like wienerschnitzel. We had a few medallion shape cutlets too. Very tender and sweet.

<edited to fix glitchy unintentionally nested quotes which came out a lot more incoherent/ sarcastic than meant.>

Edited by GunFun

Squirrel is good eatin.

My issue with survival hunting is how long the game will last.

Smoke Cure. Will last a long time.

THREAD HIJACKED by rats. haha.gif

If it is posted in General Discussion, you can guarantee it will stray from original topic….

and……..

weren't rats responsible  for the largest plague in history which killed millions of people.  Disease  carrying/infested rodents

Thanks, but I will pass on rat meat.  I'll eat horse meat even dog before rat.

Edited by SHOTGUN MESSIAH