• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

45 GAP. It was born obsolete.

F  O  C  U  S  30.06 F  O  C  U  S

The 30-06 is still the most versatile cartridge in the world.  It I could have only one rifle for all hunting for the rest of my life it would be an 06.

Posted Images

Anybody who says they wouldn't eat a rat have no idea what it's like to be hungry.

22 is good for taking small game but traps are better.  They don't use ammunition and they don't make a lot of noise.

• Like 1

Anybody who says they wouldn't eat a rat have no idea what it's like to be hungry.

Thank goodness we live in a country where it's very hard to go hungry.

Was'nt  the USA rated the most obese country in the world.

You can go dumpster diving at any given moment and find a better meal than rat.

Personally, if I was ever so hungry to where I need to eat rat, I would chew on bark first.

Edited by SHOTGUN MESSIAH

are you suggesting that I should plan on raising rats in the near future. Never say never I guess.

New Yorker's should never worry about going hungry, I believe the rat to human ratio is like 10,000 to one.

Shit , they have the countrys largest emergency food reserve and don't even appreciate it. biggrin.png

Thank goodness we live in a country where it's very hard to go hungry.

Was'nt  the USA rated the most obese country in the world.

You can go dumpster diving at any given moment and find a better meal than rat.

Personally, if I was ever so hungry to where I need to eat rat, I would chew on bark first.

I think we're talking about a time where there will be no more dumpsters [as there'd be no more truck to empty them].

are you suggesting that I should plan on raising rats in the near future.

Yes that must be exactly what I meant.

Or maybe I meant that being prepared might mean you wouldn't ever be in a situation where you had to eat rat or starve... 

he wants to eat jdeko

A question about one of the most popular hunting cartridges of all time being obsolete. Devolves into eating rats and tube steak.

Once you start down that rabbit hole,Ya just never know where it's going to end up around here do you?

C'mon y'all, there are some very good real life accounts of the who, where, when, why and how various people have survived real SHTF.

SHTF caused by war, economic crisis, famine and all forms of just plain'ol evil, tyrannical government out to kill portions of it's population.

When the SHTF and food is hard or nearly impossible to come by, you'll happily eats stray cats & dogs, and even rats when your stores are low or gone.

Those suffering the hunger of malnutrition/starvation only see a food source, survival.

I can say right now that I'd eat anything that I could catch, and push come to shove I'm pretty damned sure I would eat another person.

And when it comes to taking that long pig, well, 30-06 is a proven round010.gif

Edited by ChileRelleno

frabz-Stay-on-Topic-STAY-ON-TOPIC-a4da09

But veering off topic is what makes general discussion so interesting.

Just go with the flow.      " Ideas give life to new ideas."

If we want to stay on topic we would go to the topic specific categories.

Heck, all my posts veer off topic…and I embrace it…even welcome it.

30-06 is pretty nice. However, in most of the loads up through about 170 grains, 308 is either more efficient or the same. That means the same powder charge gets equal or better velocity, and probably lower standard deviations. So, since 165 grainers are about the ballistic sweet spot for 30-06 hunting cartridges, it essentially means that 308 does what 30-06 does best slightly better.

I like them both, but I think I would prefer to own a 308 over a 30-06 unless it was for historical reasons. I wouldn't call it obsolete by any stretch.

side note: 308 is easier to use for reduced power loads than 30-06 because of that case capacity difference. I made a bunch of both at about 7.62x39 energy levels for plinking, and for that I preferred 308.

Edited by GunFun
  • Like 1

The venerable 30-06 shines with the rounds over 180gr , it bridges the gap between .308 and the 300 magnums. Those who can afford 2 rifles will buy 2 rifles.

Those who can afford one would be best served with the '06.

• Like 1