Does your MKA1919 run like a sewing machine?

I started with a Benelli M2 which runs like a sewing machine.  Any ammo, virtually no cleaning, some lube, 3 day multigun conditions, and it just ran and ran.  My pistol and rifle run great as well but I am extremely familiar with their upkeep cycles.

The MKA 1919 match is my first mag fed shotgun but it seems so finicky.  So far it has 1400 rounds through it.  Various T&N parts.  Stock recoil spring (Reduced recoil spring seemed to drag when stripping rounds from the mag).  Mid barrel comp.  Light load ring thing.   10rd factory mags.  I tear it down every 200-300 rounds for a good cleaning.  

Today I was running a practice stage with Rio 1 1/8,  7.5, 1280fps ammo and during the 21 round COF 1 shell would always fail to eject.  Stove pipe with bolt forward.  I could rip the case out of the port and continue but I want this gun to run right.  

Clean more often?  Boooooo.

Lube more?  Where?

Tune something?

Ammo?  1290 AA's run great but I cant afford to practice with them.  Large matches only.

Just to be expected with this gun?

TIA for the help.

I have not been able to shoot my MKA for a little while due to an injury, but before it got locked in the gun safe, it was running quite well.

Mine is a pre-XN gun with billet lower and various other parts to make it 922 compliant.

To get mine to where it runs so well, first I had to break it in.  It was probably over 500 to 800 rounds before it smoothed out.  During the break in I kept it clean and well lubricated.

Second I spent the time necessary to tune the magazine for top reliability.  I have no problems functioning with factory 5 and 10 rd magazines. I also have good luck with 5 round magazines fitted with Firebird Precision extensions (makes them 15 rd mags).  I purchased a Tooth and Nail 24 rd magazine and it was delivered less than a week after I hurt myself so it has not been shot.  Based on several folks that I occasionally shoot with, the 24 rounder should work well.

The last time my gun had a problem it was quickly resolved by wiping down the operating rod and gas piston with an oily rag.  Lesson learned.

Along with keeping the gun clean, I also run it with the bolt a little bit wet. The inside of the gas piston, operating rod and bolt carrier is lightly lubed. Mobil 1 is preferred.  The trigger assembly is slicked up with a little locksmith graphite.

Probably one of the best things I've done to make it run so well was sticking with quality ammo.  For practice I use Remington Gun Club ammo.  For matches I use Remington STS or Winchester AA.   My gun is now broken in to where it runs well with 1145 fps loads but for "important" matches I tend to run 1200 fps loads for that little extra bit of insurance.

One thing I have learned (the hard way) is during a match stage, always reload to a closed bolt.  In the heat of a match I found that with the bolt back, I can ram the magazine too far into the gun.  I also found that it much easier to get the magazine stuck than it is to free it.

• Like 2

I dont shoot alot or never ran 3gun. But I can run rio, ccheap walmart ammo both federal and winchester. Also estate as well. Early on I had problems with all of them but after replacing the lower with a billet one all the problems stopped. I maybe get 1 of 100 fte maybe. Ive done mag tuning and that helped early on. But after swapping the lower ive been able to run anything from cheapest ammo I can find to black magic magnum 1 3/8oz slugs

I dont shoot alot or never ran 3gun. But I can run rio, ccheap walmart ammo both federal and winchester. Also estate as well. Early on I had problems with all of them but after replacing the lower with a billet one all the problems stopped. I maybe get 1 of 100 fte maybe. Ive done mag tuning and that helped early on. But after swapping the lower ive been able to run anything from cheapest ammo I can find to black magic magnum 1 3/8oz slugs

I recommend not shooting magnums.

Bolts and carriers dont last long if you do

I too went from a Benelli M2 to a BR99 (MKA1919 clone). There is a steep learning curve and every time the gun is modded away from 'factory settings' it has to be re-learned and the gun 'fettled'. Mine is now modded to the point I want and I've got it running very reliably (for a box mag gun anyway). My top tip would be to clean it after every use, unless say, you shoot 100rds or so one day then 100 the following day. If left for say a week even just after 50-60rds mine will not function as well.

• Like 1

Sure, you get what you pay for but I can't afford to practice with $9 a box ammo.   AA are for large matches only.  

Where are you paying $9.00 for AA's ?

Walmart has them for $5.87 everyday, we've bought them on sale for $4.97 a few times.

Subtract the $2.00 per box rebate, there isn't a better cheaper  ammo out there.

That being said, I can shoot everything from 980 fps AA's, to winchester universal, haven't had more than 5-6 malfunctions in about 6000 rounds.

Clean about every 1000 rounds or before a big match.

The local Walmart website shows Winchester AA's for $7.87 per box but when I go into the store, the price is $8.97 per box.  Almost enough to justify an ammo run to Missouri.

Occasionally Brownells will run a sale on Winchester AA's for around $7.00 0r $8.00 a box.  Time that with their free shipping and Winchester's $2 rebate, not a  bad price.

Edited by Flatland Shooter
  • Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...

Here in NC they are $7.97.  I've tried several different brands and my XN only likes the AA or STS to run reliably.  I've got factory spring, Tooth and Nail trigger group, and gas piston (for 922R).  All have been fitted as well as the mags by my builder.  I'm always experimenting with other cheaper loads to try and find something cheaper that will run reliably, but no luck so far.  I bought mine used and have put @200 through it, so maybe it isn't even broken in yet.  May try the reduced recoil spring.

Sure, you get what you pay for but I can't afford to practice with $9 a box ammo.   AA are for large matches only.  

Where are you paying $9.00 for AA's ?

Walmart has them for $5.87 everyday, we've bought them on sale for $4.97 a few times.

Subtract the $2.00 per box rebate, there isn't a better cheaper  ammo out there.

That being said, I can shoot everything from 980 fps AA's, to winchester universal, haven't had more than 5-6 malfunctions in about 6000 rounds.

Clean about every 1000 rounds or before a big match.

$2/box rebate? That makes them a lot more appealing. that's garbage ammo kind of money, for primo stuff.

• 1 year later...