Rifle idea for anti-material shooting

I recall the Finnish had a 20mm anti-tank rifle called the Lahti or Latti I think - not sure about the spelling. 

Anyway ... why doesn't Lapua or Sako or Tikka bring something like this monster back into production with modern upgrades (like a serious muzzle brake) for those who want to be sure they can take-out a SCUD missile or a tank? 

Or make instant moose tar-tar. 

I want to cover the whole spectrum from .177 BB guns to 20 mm. You just never know what a situation might require. As a patriotic American, I'd like to give my Army and Marine Corps friends a choice between 5.56 and 20mm by golly should they ever need to barrow one of my rifles. 

I recall a show where an original Lahti got restored. It was impressive.  

On a more serious note, however, do any armies still use anti-tank rifles or is that an outdated concept given the presence of anti-tank missiles and R.P.G.s? 

That would be very fun to shoot, but very expensive. It would be classified as a destructive device, and would have to be registered and licensed with the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (ATF), see below.

Anti-tank rifles are obsolete now, and would be ineffective against anything but lightly armored vehicles, such as older APC’s. There are numerous shoulder fired anti-tank weapons systems that are lighter, more powerful, and much easier to deploy: the US M72 LAW, replaced by US AT4; the RPG family of Russian anti-tank weapons; etc.

18 U.S.C. § 921(a)(4): DESTRUCTIVE DEVICE

26 U.S.C. § 5845(f)(2): DESTRUCTIVE DEVICE

(Firearm having a bore of more than one-half inch in diameter)

Section 5845(f), Title 26, United States Code, classifies certain weapons as “destructive devices” which are subject to the registration and tax provisions of the National Firearms Act (NFA). Section 5845(f)(2) provides as follows:

(f) Destructive device.--The term “destructive device” means * * * (2) any type of weapon by whatever name known which will, or which may be readily converted to, expel a projectile by the action of an explosive or other propellant, the barrel or barrels of which have a bore of more than one-half inch in diameter, except a shotgun or shotgun shell which the Secretary or his delegate finds is generally recognized as particularly suitable for sporting purposes; . . .”

• Like 1

I've shot the Lahti-39, muzzle brake is very effective: kinda like a 50 BMG on steroids. Recoil isn't actually too bad, but the concussion from the brake is fairly intense. 

Sci-Fi movie prop?   NSFW

Nope:

The Boers aren't the only folks toying with this:

Where would someone safely shoot a 20 mm?

Where would you get reloading supply's ?

Not on the east coast.

But out here in the west we have plenty of places.

People who play with those kind of firearms find a way to load for them

I have a friend who had a Lahti It was a monster, I never shot it but picked it up...once

He had antique ammo for it that carried a very high value, he also made his own projectiles and loaded for it.

He was VERY ill a few years ago and sold all of his collection to pay medical bills

• Like 1

Im curious what "anti-material" squeaky wants to shoot

Whelp- shoot  matter into antimatter, and then you can time travel to 1934 and prevent the NFA. Pretty sure that's how it works. Then we could own all the cool ordnance and materiel we want.

• Like 1

Too much for drones?

old-anti-aircraft-gun-at-city-park-gary-

^^^^^^Just right for duck and goose hunting!

Oh what I'd do to make it so I could use that for goose hunting.             Lock & Load!!

I would dearly love to light up that gun on a large flock of geese! (Ducks I don't mind so much.) Geese are mean, ugly, have a bad attitude and shit all over everything! Too greasy for my liking, too.  ;)

Too much for drones?

old-anti-aircraft-gun-at-city-park-gary-

^^^^^^Just right for duck and goose hunting!

Oh what I'd do to make it so I could use that for goose hunting.             Lock & Load!!

I would dearly love to light up that gun on a large flock of geese! (Ducks I don't mind so much.) Geese are mean, ugly, have a bad attitude and shit all over everything! Too greasy for my liking, too.  wink.png

My fantasy is a belt-fed FA 12 ga in an anti-aircraft chair to make duck hunting fun again.  It's boring shooting a duck a shot.  Need something to put the sport back into it.  Bustin 50 rnds just to maybe hit one duck puts the fun back in!

And no matter what full-auto is fun!

I just honestly suck ovaries at hunting, I dunno if I shoot high, low, before, after, or if its spread too thin. Sporting or not I don't really care, I have no shame in saying that if it were legal I'd pull my Saiga out and kill as many as I had shells for on the quad of my old college. There had to be like 6 dozen of the bastards just fucking about there hissing and honking at you as you walk to class.

I've always thought 'sporting' was an asinine concept. Hunting is not about proving your worth vs an animal. I suppose you can make it that. However if you do, you basically handicap yourself and make getting a clean kill more difficult. i.e. 'sporting' hunting is the form of hunting most likely to be cruel.

As it happens, IMO sportsmanship is the only unethical thing I see in normal hunting. 

What people should be concerned with is cruel or not cruel, effective or not effective. (also destructive vs productive management of the resource) If you want to hunt in a way that is effective enough for your wants or needs and is not cruel, go for it. So if you want to slowly stalk up to that deer and ram a spear through its chest from contact, and it is sure to die quickly with a relative minimum of pain, go for it. If you just want to go out to the field behind your house take a single shot and come back five minutes later with meat and it is not cruel, go for it. Anyone who looks down on someone else for having a different threshold of challenge vs practical is an ass. 

• Like 2