Rifle idea for anti-material shooting

And let me say I'd eat every goose I kill and if simpering losers like me killed so many geese started going extinct I'd totally understand not being able to hunt them for a bit. And I fully understand in trying to figure out how to kill a goose I've almost certainly maimed quite a few that died horrible deaths of sepsis or gangrene from the pellets that did hit them but didn't kill them within my sight.

Best way to deal with the Canadian Goose is to put crushed up rat poison on day old bread/croutons. Throw it in the yard and problem solved.

Canada goose. And I think some of that shit your grandfather showed you may have left a negative impression. On a related note, I hear geese can be trapped easily by digging a trench about goose shoulder deep, and just over goose width. With a gentle slope on one end, and bait in the trench, the geese will waddle in, and when you run up on them with a stick or hammer or whatever, they don't have enough room to spread their wings or turn around. Whack whack, goose dinner. Only to be used in an actual survival situation probably. I'm not sure that's legal at all. I might have even read that on this forum. Idk. Edited for spelling. Edited by RedRhino

I've not seen anywhere that its specifically illegal to bait waterfowl, just geese or deer and then you have to wait 10 days after the last time you baited the joint. Kinda tempts me to to bring some of bread with me this September...

When I lived in Maryland , the problem was with Judas geese. At the turn of the 20th century, it became illegal to hunt migratory geese over live decoys. People then just turned their captive geese out to go wild. However - years of captivity had changed them into a larger bird that does not migrate. They foul the ponds and shit everywhere! Unfortunately the Government makes no distinction between them so they get unwarranted protection from hunters, EXCEPT on Federal Government property- there they are routinely slaughtered on Government holidays when the 'do gooders' are not working.

• Like 2

The gubment wildlife people thought that the greater Canadian goose was the best choice for protection.  Only problem is that they don't migrate like the other Canadian species did!  Now most are the greater, and they barely move.

I'm from da gubment, and I's here to help!

Great way to keep the geese at bay is a wristrocket with white marbles.  They can see em comming, and will give em a painful reminder to leave.  I usually give them about 25 yds, unless they don't get the point, and then I close on them fast and pelt one hard.  A headshot will knock em out for about 20-30 seconds, and make you think you killed them!  But so far, the ones I've brained have all recovered.  Wappin the babies really drives the point home to the parents.  Usually, I have to drive the family off 5-6 times before they get the message, and then they leave the bay and rarely come back.  Then in fall I have to repeat with the migraters that come out of the park.  Keep driving them out to max range, and I do mean long range artillery shots at 45 degrees elevation.

We are lucky that all the big flights of B29s (Canadian Honkers) only hang around a little bit to chill out and then gas up and they are gone.  Very nice sound to wake up to in the morning is a bunch of honking B29's flying close overhead.  We do not shoot them.  Now they are becoming very tame around individuals to feed them.  Sometimes they fly so low you can hear the "wosh wosh wosh" of the wings.  Beautiful ducks.  I think a 20mm might be too much gun? :)

And they drop in formation too....

One time out duck hunting, a squadron flew over the no-fire zone for my blind.  Watched the lead drop his load followed by the rest of the flock in order.  Could follow the splashes in the dead calm water right over the other blind in the swamp.  They got carpet bombed!

• Like 2