Recoil, short position, adjustable stock

I have a Tapco 6, four-position adjustable stock; not the best on the market, I know, but fine for me. Normally I adjust it to the second (middle) position, which is right for me when shooting from a rest, no problem.

Once, however, back in the early days of ownership and conversion and just for the hell of it, I adjusted it down to its shortest position and with iron sights, no scope, fired a round. It scared the hell out of me. The recoil bounced the receiver back toward my nose where it stopped short and quick at what seemed like only a couple of inches from it. I had visions of my nose pushed back into my brain had I been holding the rifle any looser.

As I've understood it, the main advantages of adjustable stocks are for carrying, close quarter work (especially if one is wearing body armor or heavy clothes) or if you're using the gun for multiple shooters. 

What position/positions do you folks tend to use, and for what differing situations? 

And has anyone ever heard of anyone else ever smashing their nose by scoping the stock to its shortest position and then cuddling up too close to the receiver?

Cool. Thanks.

I presumed that's the primary purpose of the thing, people adjusting, length of pull and all that. But I guess I'm wondering about the other extreme--stock adjusted tight. Is it possible to shoot with the stock at this position without recoil breaking your nose? I see a lot of folks with 7.62x39 and AR-15's who talk about shooting fast, butt of the stock pressed against their clavicle or chest, but I doubt very much if there are too many folks out there who can do it with a .308. I sure as hell can't. So, bottom line, wondering if I were to shoot from that position on a rest, iron sights, would I be such a damn fool that I deserve having my nose broken?

using one of those rifle dynamics adapters and good AR stock that puts all the recoil in-line with the shoulder prevents most of that "rise to the face" almost as well as a brake.

I was shocked the first time I tried such as damned if it didn't work. Really want as a flat plane for recoil as possible