Lost Red-Dot Battery Cap/Truly Inexpensive Red-Dot Optics

In the ongoing shit-show that is my life reported on these forums I managed to unscrew the cap on my Tacfire 1x35 Red/Green dot optic's battery which I ended up losing in the reeds whilst goose hunting. I've tried e-mailing Tacfire as well as calling them with no response and a trip to the hardware store proved that trying to replace that battery cap is not going to be easy.

The sight was only 35 dollars but it stood up to 70 1oz slugs and 40 3in buckshot rounds without breaking or really losing its zero, so I think its a good one. I guess I could just buy a new one but I kind of don't want to give them my money if they're going to be this way. 

Does anyone have any other dirt cheap optics that are sturdy enough to deal with 12ga recoil, and/or a way to repair/replace the battery cap. It takes a CR1620 battery that goes into a false windage knob with a cap screwing inside the knob and serving as one of the battery's contacts. I realize that fixing the Tacfire is pretty much not going to happen but I'd really like to not have it be a paper-weight now.

I've got this one on mine.  http://www.sightmark.com/product.php?item=196

However Seems they didn't tighten it down for the lower mount.  But it had well over a couple hundred rounds down the barrel before I noticed it was loose.

I took it apart and added some more loc-tite to the mount screw and tightened it down.  Hope to get it back out to the range here soon to get it back dialed in.

• Like 1

Here is one idea....

Quit being a dumbass about everything.

Then buy another cheap ass $35 optic to replace the one cap you lost, since it held up so well. Then you'll have spare parts for when it shits the bed.

Did you really think you were going to find a battery cap (or a cap in general) that's gonna fit some obscure random red dot sight, at the local hardware store?

Edited by Mullet Man

Did the cap get lost in water?  Did it sink deep glug glug glug?  Or did it get lost someplace in the field?  Is there anyway you could go on a treasure hunt/ recovery hunt to recover it?  We have had success using a metal detector on lost stupid AR15 and M1 Carbine parts trying to do silly stuff where and when we should not have.  Yikes. :)

• Like 1

Between when I last knew it worked [aimed at some geese and saw a red dot] and where I first saw it didn't [aimed at some geese and saw no dot] is about a mile where I was walking through knee-high reeds and grass. I don't have a metal detector to go searching with. 

I didn't think it would be so hard to replace, I figured either most things that took that sort of battery would have a cap that would fit so I could just buy a flashlight or something and steal the cap off it. Barring that I figured I could just make one easily out of stuff found at a hardware store. I wasn't thinking they'd have "the exact cap off my random sight" I didn't know that things worked like that, I thought it was something you could fix with a bit of elbow grease. 

• Like 1

The only plausible way to get a replacement cap is to either buy another sight and cannibalize the cap from it, or else contact the manufacturer to see if you can get another one. There's too many variables with thread diameter, thread pitch, and battery contact geometry to expect to randomly find a compatible cap off something else.

• Like 2

G O B is on to something.  Anyway you can closely examine it, ponder a bit with a nice tall glass of very hot tea and figure out a way to cobble something up that will seal up the end of the battery tube plus provide that necessary conductivity?  Might be a fun doable project reaping great rewards like yummy slow cooked B29s?  :)

• Like 2