7.62x59mm

Guest FULL_AUTO_990

On reason the 762 39 doesn't have the "kick" you desire is because an AK reciever isn't supposed to. You still have 1500ish lbs of force from the bullet, which is like three to five times that of popular handgun forces.

If I turn the gas off on my SKS a 762 39 has a totally different feel to it-too much kick in fact, to be accurate while running from tanks and shooting the forces of evil.

Also, 1500ish lbs of force is plenty to take care of most needs. The type of projectile is what is important.

Remember, these things were designed to kill people, not elk or bears.

You wanna 'off some elks then you'll probably need a more powerful bullet.

Other than that, the standard Saiga bullets are really good. Have faith in them!

(and on the bright side, they're more powerful than those 223's...)

You should try handloading ammunition for your 7.62 X 39 to get maximum power. However, when handloading you should approach maximum loads with extreme caution. Heavier bullets will make the rifle recoil harder. Adding a muzzle brake will make the rifle noisier as well.

I really don't understand why you want the rifle to kick harder and sound louder as it will only make it more unpleasant to shoot.

If you must have a hi-cap 308, buy a G3, CETME, or FAL variant.

If you don't like the wood stock, Saiga 308s come with Synth furniture as well. And you can do a forend conversion, though with a little more work than the other chamberings.

Consider also the ROMAK II/PSL/SSG chambered in 7.62x54R if you want a very com-bloc looking full powered rifle. They are now coming in 18" "paratrooper versions" which I think is a joke but you may find desireable.

Trying to convert just to have a larger caliber will probably be less economical than buying a different gun.

I have a Saiga 308 on the way and would like nothing more than to develop a hi-capacity conversion. One idea I had involved replacing the bar that crosses the receiver with an external brace integrated with a mag-well for G3 mags. If I end up doing it, that could be good news for many who want a 308 hi-cap AK.

M14 mag conversions have been done, but are not the most sound for the Saiga.

I doubt you will ever find any 7.62X39 ammunition which is loaded hotter than industry standards. No manufacturer or importer wants to spend time and dollars being sued. The only way you will get hotter stuff is to reload yourself and then you had better stick within the guidelines set by the powder manufacturer. It would, however, be interesting to see what a compressed load of Bullseye or Accurate No.2 would do if I could watch from at least 60 feet away. Some parts would really go flyin'.

so they have black synthetic stocks like the saiga 7.62x39mm for the saiga 308?

is there any place that sells the 308s with the black stock? post some pics.

i put the synthetic stock from a 7.62x39 saiga on my .308. krebbs sells them

here's a picture...

post-6-1078612982.jpg

Edited by chips