I couldn't begin to understand. And I never know whether I should thank Vietnam Veterens(keep reading),Or how else to express my sympathy for what they went through. Every Vet I talk to seems to have different feelings about it. They've all had different experiences, being there, and coming home. I generally try to shake a Vet's hand and thank them for their sacrifice, but I've met guys who genuinely didn't want to be thanked. No matter what your reason for going, you sacrificed something along the way, and I thank you.

I joined voluntarily in 1991.

Under Clinton, I did some hard thinking, and got out.

I did'nt trust our current govt. and decided that my time was better spent protecting my family, at home.

(The "wall" fell when I was in bootcamp (Christmas 1991))

I would mount it, followed by pictures of all the stuff you did after!

Love ya brother. God Bless!

Edited by Sim_Player
  • Like 3

I'm not a Vietnam vet.  Gulf War vet.  Not the same I know.

But as a vet I understand those who don't want to be thanked.  I don't like being thanked for my service.  I'm genuinely conflicted because I do want to thank others who served but don't want to be thanked myself.

• Like 2

I'm not a Vietnam vet. Gulf War vet. Not the same I know.

But as a vet I understand those who don't want to be thanked. I don't like being thanked for my service. I'm genuinely conflicted because I do want to thank others who served but don't want to be thanked myself.

My previous comment applies to all vets. But with the reception a lot of the Vietnam guys got when they came home, the tone feels different to me, being younger and having not been born at the time.

I used to drive a fire engine years ago for a living.  Still have that badge mounted on a picture frame in the hallway.  All the other stuff including grade school work, all my school year books and a lot of family valuable stuff burned up when the rental storage place burned to the ground.  Different fire agency.  Even today my family and I miss that stuff.  Very old family pictures, journals and the like. Shitty.