After building a double-digit number of AR-15s, I decided to change up a bit and build an AR-10. But parts seem to be out of stock in most places. I had to try about 15 sites before I found matched lowers & uppers in stock, and the same with carbine buffers and springs. Barrels are in short supply, also.

Is there something going on, or did everyone else decide to build a .308 AR the same time I did?

• Like 1

Lot of people building rifles right now.

Not only because of the SCOTUS situation, but because the cost of doing so has made it feasible for many.

AR15 and AR10 parts have been going in and out of stock pretty quickly, but keep being restocked.

Just have to watch/shop for what you want and have the money set aside to buy immediately.

Same goes for complete firearms...  Have you watched how fast AKs are selling?

Prices for AKs going up, prices for ARs going down, both selling like manna from Heaven.

Watch the Ruger Precision Rifles, the trick isn't finding one in-stock, its finding the caliber you want in-stock.

They sell fast!

• Like 2

One of the other forums I frequent is for an ar15 cartridge. Lots of guys on that forum are building 10's this year. There are a few new options out there that allow you to build a much lighter AR 10 than in the past and that has removed some of the advantage of the 15 over the 10. Not to mention, everything's cyclical including popularity of firearms. Like you, lots of people have built multiple ar15 and are probably looking to build something different.

• Like 1

I think a lot of it is supply and demand. Manufacturers focused hard on AR 15 and accessories because that has been what most new AR people gravitate to. But to mixednuttz's point, there are a lot of people (myself included) that are moving to other calibers in the AR platform. I am currently building one in 7.62x39 to share ammo with my AKs. Parts are hard to come by in odd calibers right now. I am on an 8 week waiting list for a couple of key components.

Keep an eye on Slickguns. I saw they had a nice billet .308 upper / lower set today for a fairly good price.

So far, I've got the upper and lower (and their parts kits) BCG, and a free-float handguard. I just had to expand my search outside the places I normally get such things because they were out of stock. Right now, I'm looking for a 20-24" barrel with rifle-length gas and MOA or better accuracy potential that isn't stupid expensive.

Looking to shoot long-range with this build; I have lots of other options I'd prefer for CQB (like a Saiga) than a shorty .308.

• 2 years later...

The only reason to build a .308 AR IMO is for long range. The douche manufacturers still haven’t fixed their shit grade magazines. 

M118LR 175SMK won’t fit in any of them unless you buy a special 25rd (too long from bipod) M118LR Pmag. So be prepared to spend $70-80 per 20rd magazine from larue. They won’t fit DPMS mags either. Your options are KAC $100 or larue $80 https://www.larue.com/products/larue-tactical-20-round-7-62-magazines/

I think part of the appeal of an AR10 is the wide range of calibers based on the 308 case. .358 YETI looks fun. I can't say I need it, but every time I see it, I think. Neat! I want one. Once you have a lower, adding new calibers is easy. Given that you can build one for $700 day in day out now, I can see the appeal. I would rather hunt with a lightweight AR10 variant than with some boring Remington 700. 

OP you might check out bear creek arsenal, and right to bear llc. They tend to have killer deals on parts. I have heard consistently good feedback about the performance of BCA barrels too, and there is speculation that they are the manufacturer of the barrels branded AR stoner. I like faxxon stuff too.

16 hours ago, gunfun said:

I think part of the appeal of an AR10 is the wide range of calibers based on the 308 case. .358 YETI looks fun. I can't say I need it, but every time I see it, I think. Neat! I want one. Once you have a lower, adding new calibers is easy. Given that you can build one for $700 day in day out now, I can see the appeal. I would rather hunt with a lightweight AR10 variant than with some boring Remington 700. 

OP you might check out bear creek arsenal, and right to bear llc. They tend to have killer deals on parts. I have heard consistently good feedback about the performance of BCA barrels too, and there is speculation that they are the manufacturer of the barrels branded AR stoner. I like faxxon stuff too.

The Yeti is a lot of fun, I've got a 12.5" one. Lots of energy coming out of the 15 platform. My FFL really likes it for deer up here, says its proven to be a "deer anchor" for him. No tracking required. Can get a 180 gr bullet to ~ 2600 FPS out of a 16" barrel.

I just wish I had a suppressor for it. 

I know the guy that developed it , pretty sharp guy. Lives a few hours east of me.

• Like 1

I don't have an AR10 variant, but the thought of being able to launch my 192 grain custom bullet out of one sounds like a lot of fun. Also, I bet LC brass would last a long time if you aren't going for max loads.

As usual, I have practical considerations in life which will probably trump the "need" for a new toy, but it's definitely on the list of things to make in the future. 

I think I would have fun doing an 80% AR10 variant, probably based on DPMS pattern stuff. I would just want the greatest standardization of parts for compatibility reasons, and AR10 stuff is anything but standard. Though, it would be neat if someone made an AR variant which accepts AK triggers.