Vepr stock replacement *new guy*

New to the forum and Vepr shotguns. Had a Saiga before but sold it for finances for bills. Went to buy a new Saiga and found out about the issue of importation. So, I bought a Vepr 12 with the wood stock after research said they're good out of the box. It seems that more people recommended the Vepr over the Saiga out of the box.

I plan to buy a new stock but want to know for sure if it'll work. Are AK stocks compatable with the Vepr? For example, can I buy either a KVAR fixed stock or the new Magpul AK stocks?

From the research I've done, RPK furniture can be used for the handguard with fitting. I haven't seen a thread about AK stock compatability.I've searched several pages but haven't found anything. Seems that more people have tubular stocks.

Glad to have found this forum. Nervous about the pistol grip replacement. Guess it isn't as easy as aneeded AKyle grip replacement. Here is a picture of my new Vepr

post-50938-0-07927300-1456419683_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

That was the first style imported, it just uses AK stocks. I prefer this style over the folders myself, the folding stock is not very comfortable to shoot.

The pistol grip can be removed, the bolt it staked but I just spun mine out with a good fitting screw driver.

Awesome. Thank you. I was hoping to find a Saiga but the prices were too much in my opinion. But then again, there's a premium for banned weapons. But research on this site and others seemed to say the Vepr is better out of the box. My search then began for a Vepr and surprisingly my gunsmith had this Vepr for sale. Haven't gotten the shotgun from my local FFL yet but have already bought the ALG tromix trigger and I plan to replace the stock. Then I'll start the paper work and send my shotgun back to my gunsmith and have him cut the barrel down (haven't decided on length yet).

I tell myself I was lucky to be offered this specific model Vepr from my gunsmith. He sold the shotgun to me for $850 new with 2 5rd mags. Before, I was only able to find fixed tubular stocks. With research, I found it to be a PITA to do stock swaps with the tubular stocks. So I'm greatful to buy the Vepr I did. Still haven't had time to go to my local FFL to pick up the shotgun. But I'll be picking up the shotgun tomorrow and I'll be taking a look at the grip screw. Not too worried about the grip replacement, just annoyed that it'll take so long.

• 1 month later...

Any drawbacks to these new fixed stock version Evl? By the way, congrats on being in business and staying that way

No drawback that I am aware of. I'd rather have one of the early fixed stock versions than the new one, by far. That stock design just sucks, even on a folder. They must have a warehouse full of them somewhere. I hope they run out soon and design something more appropriate for a shotgun. They get loose after a while and the comb angle is all wrong. They need to remove the cheek riser, make the comb more in line with the bore, make it stay tight and stable, and shorten it a little. It would be worth keeping on there then. At least the early ones are easy for the user to change out for something better.

Everything around me changes, some for better and some for worse. I change very little ;)