I'm looking at a new hobby, prospecting.

No dreams of getting rich. It just looks like my kind of fun!

I love being outside!

I have the basics, a sluice, 1/4 inch classifier, pan, & bucket.

Where I live is known for gold concentrations.

Edited by Sim_Player
  • Like 1

I did many years ago when the nieces and nephews were small. Not on a larger scale like you are describing . Rented a van and camped all around the mountain ranges of Colorado. After they panned for gold after touring the Bachelor-Syracuse Mine, I purchased panning kits for all to keep them busy trying to wear them out. Lots of work, but I believe they had a good time.

Perfect time of year.  Try to find some very old topo maps listing all the old mining claims and mines.  Be careful about pot growers.  Just after some heavy flooding rain, the new stuff washes down.  Be prepared to hike in quite a ways.  All the good placer gold deposit locations have been known for well over 150 years.  No matter where you go and how far and how long, somebody has always been there before you.  Very fun.  Very physical.  Be aware of the evil Fed gold taking laws. 

Western Washington has a ton of rivers and creeks flowing out of the Cascade Mountain Range.

They have been changing course for thousands of years leaving lots of virgin ground to explore.

Lot's of gold bits trapped in bedrock crevices above the water-line in drought areas in Cali.

Edited by Sim_Player
  • Like 1

Just got done building a recirculating fluid bed highbanker for running black beach sand around the great lakes.  On some beaches on Michigan I've hit a gram ($38) per yard.

Bout the only state without gold is Florida.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...