Got it, cleaned it, scoped it, shot it....meh. Not as accurate as claimed. I personally like the Remington 597's better.

What ammo? Only asking because I just got into a batch of Remington that are stringing anywhere between zero and 8" below because of inconstant powder charges. You can hear the difference between shots.

Edited by YOT

Has .22rf ammo quality dropped lately?  We still have a little bit of 20 year old Winchester Wildcat Wally World ammo that shoots very well and tight in our Ruger 10-22.  Yep ... anyway you could sell your pickup and buy a little bit of high quality target or match high velocity .22 ammo and then see how well your new Ruger shoots?

Believe back then the price was all you wanted for $9.95 a BRICK and on sale sometimes for $7.95.  Wow.

Edited by HB of CJ
  • Like 1

This stuff has been very consistent for me and is usually priced pretty reasonably (relatively speaking) when it's in stock.

It's a nice balance of economy and accuracy when compared with Golden Bullets or CCI.

s7_217673_999_01.jpg

• Like 1

CZ for me!! picked up a bolt 452 mil trainer? 300?  i like it cause it looks and feels like a real gun (not a sewer pipe that shoots bullets) (savage FV-SR heres lookin at you) and shoots reaaaaaaaal good.... if tacticool is your thing, they take a 25rd mag now....

• Like 1

I use that Federal stuff and CCI MiniMags usually. One afternoon a buddy and I shot a whole 325rnd box of the Federal through my 10/22 with only a couple of failures to feed or eject. That with a gun that hadn't been cleaned recently and probably had another 2-300 rounds through it. Great little gun.

The production lines for 22 have been running 24/7 for years now.  I'm not surprised the quality has slipped.

So we get to pay double price for shittier ammo.  Yay.

I don't shoot my 22s at all.  I have a 10/22 takedown I bought a couple of years ago that I took out of the box and put in the safe.  Haven't touched it since.

• Like 2

The worst ammo I have seen is the Win white box with 550? it sucks my 9 year old learned how to clear jams pretty quick with it about 5 in a 25 round clip wouldn't fire . He doesn't have any problems with CCI it will run them perfectly. I don't think the 10/22's are very accurate , but the are cheap and fun for young shooters to learn with . Mine feeds and ejects reliably and you can put 25 rounds down field in about 3 seconds , but I haven't timed him . I haven't tried the Federal 325 boxes but did pick up 3 the other day for 18.47 a box at my local wally world  6 cents a round tax included . It's a 200 dollar gun you don't expect sub moa from a 200 dollar gun , and its cheaper than letting him shoot 500 rounds of 223/556

... It's a 200 dollar gun you don't expect sub moa from a 200 dollar gun , and its cheaper than letting him shoot 500 rounds of 223/556

Great point.  A half dollar sized group at 50 yards is all I require from .22. 

Slug your barrels. Keep some calipers. Your.22 likes a particular diameter, and both the guns and the bullets vary significantly.

Mine likes CCI, Win Wildcats, and rem lightning. Probably others. It has never liked the federal bulk or target, or rem golden bullets.

• Like 2

My 10/22 loves CCI Stingers for accuracy.

Run away from Olin/Winchester standard velocity.  They use that for military subcaliber devices and target rifles.  You're lucky if all the powder burns.  It gummed up my 10/22 so bad that the firing pin stuck forward and gave uncontrolled FA.  2 bricks filled the space around the Bingham mag adapter with unburned powder. 

That's interesting, because all of my 10/22 would shoot that white box federal VERY accurately and consistently...

There are 6 of them in my immediate family. What I named was ammo that all of them ran. As far as what my two grouped best with, it might be the wildcats. I never did a proper scientific test when I was shooting 22s regularly, but I would say keeping them all in a quarter at 75ish yards was the norm. In those days I was pretty stingy with my CCI. I would shoot the heads off of scale sized drawings of qual an squirrels on a regular basis, and also cut lath edgewise using my car door as a rest in high school.

If 22 ever becomes relatively available and affordable enough to do brick purchasing again, I'll put in the effort to be more scientific about the accuracy aspect.

• Like 1