Related new post.  Which new .22rf ammo do you think is best?  Overall accuracy, function, consistency, price and availability?  Which ammo do you hoard and only use for family target contests?

We for one are presently back ordered at three (3) major .22rf ammo sellers at a price we know they will never honor for a product we may never see ... at the back ordered price.  Oh well.  Frustrating.

Edited by HB of CJ

My 10/22 functions with everything I have tried, so for me the cheapest is the best. I never tried putting groups on paper though.

As far a hoarding I have 500 rounds of CCI stingers and 500 rounds of Winchester super X incase SHTF and im actually going to try to kill something.

Edited by Vance665
  • Like 1

Wolf MATCH TARGET is hands down THE MOST accurate and consistent ammo I have shot out of at least a half dozen 22lr rifles. It is lapua headstamp on the brass... I consistently shoot Dime sized one hole groups at 50 yards with 10 rounds... Second choice is the cream-white 325 rd box of federal target. Those aren't quite as accurate as the wolf, but for 20 bucks for 325, versus 60/75/??? For 500... And no wolf to be found anywhere... Go with the federal white 325 box.

• Like 1

Accuracy depends on 3 things. Match of diameter to your bore, which varies a lot in 22 LR, both ammo and guns. consistency of priming compound (the powder is fairly consistent, but manufacturing of the priming is the tricky bit to get right) 3 crimp quality/consistency..

The latter two affect vertical stringing and reliabiltiy. The first one greatly affects group size and leading. There's another thread on here where I relayed some really handy data on that from FortunecookieLC on youtube. He slugged a bunch of .22lr barrels, etc. and checked the actual diameter of a broad array of brands, including samples from old and newer lots. A lot of commenters also contributed data. The amount of variance was pretty dramatic. Basically if you shoot a bullet smaller than your bore you will have a bad time, and curse the brand. A guy with a tighter bore will love that bullet. Too fat a bullet isn't really a problem, except that some guns may have issues chambering them.

• Like 2

Thank you everybody and -Indy-.  My local friendly gun shop got in some Federal cream colored black stripped boxes of Auto Match ammo.  Right place right time with the right money.  I quickly grabbed up 4 boxes.  $Ouch$.  The rest of the stuff sold out in about 4 hours.  The shop only got in 5 cases.  Wow!

GunFun nailed it as he most often does.

I will suggest passing on locals for supply if possible, anything you save is eat up by the expense of unproductive trips and time.

Its just far easier and really cheaper to find what you want exactly off the net.

I like the GECO, and CCI Subsonic for score shooting (yep I am cheap not buying Eley) and CCI MiniMags for varmits in my 22LR rifles and pistols, try finding those in a LGS, one simply cannot but if I monitor things a couple of weeks I can get plenty for a good price off the net.

Now if Im just shooting for the hell of it then Federal Champion is fine but it is also hard to find reliably in LGS.

Some folks say you should support LGS and I agree but Im not hurting myself by being too rigid about the matter by ignoring the reality.

• Like 1

I'm an Appleseed instructor and went through a spell of building up several "Liberty Training Rifles" mostly based on Ruger 10/22s. The LTR needs to shoot 1/4 MOA pretty consistently and I was  surprised at how much accuracy varies in each individual rifle ammo brand to brand. Eley match may shoot lights out in one rifle and shotgun out of another. CCI minimags are pretty consistent, but will vary rifle to rifle. You just have to find what your gun likes and try to find and stock up (pretty frustrating these days)!

• Like 1