What are my options

I know this would be better placed in the Saiga-20 section, but I think this would apply to both guns and this forum gets more traffic.  I recently purchased a Saiga-20.  I took it out today and it will feed pheasant loads on setting 2.  On setting 2 with low base rounds it will fire and load new round but the trigger will not be reset or it will fire and only partially eject the spent case (stovepipe) which is usually the case.  What is the best place to start to get this gun running correctly.

Spend 500 magnum rounds worth of money with Cobra's Custom and get an action refinement. It would be a  much better value to have some actual work done to it.

Edited by evlblkwpnz
  • Like 2

OK I read the sticky. I guess I should've been more specific and stating what are my options as far as aftermarket parts without disassembling the gun. If I do decide to disassemble the gun Are Saiga 20 gas holes the same diameter as the 12's?

There are no after market parts that will specifically fix a gun that doesn't run like it should before before any after market pats are installed. Friction points and gas systems are easy to fix, or there are vendors who will do the work for a fee. Adding parts is not a fix, and some have been known to further hinder proper operation. 

As for gas port size on an S20, I do not know, but work the friction points before you worry about that.

OK, I'm not going to be very popular with this, and thus I usually stay away from these type of threads.

The damned Saigas aren't designed to run low brass/recoil loads.

"...get this gun running correctly."

"...fix a gun that doesn't run like it should..."

I'm betting it already does run correctly.

Does the gun does run exactly as it should, as designed, that is with full power loads?

If it has a few hang-ups here and there, a good breaking-in and lubing should smooth things out.

I'd recommend not trying to 'Fix' or 'Change' anything until you know it works as it should as designed.

Get it to run correctly with full power loads, then get it to run low power loads.

Running low power loads is a bonus, not a standard.

Edited by ChileRelleno
  • Like 1

OK, I'm not going to be very popular with this, and thus I usually stay away from these type of threads.

The damned Saigas aren't designed to run low brass/recoil loads.

"...get this gun running correctly."

"...fix a gun that doesn't run like it should..."

I'm betting it already does run correctly.

Does the gun does run exactly as it should, as designed, that is with full power loads?

If it has a few hang-ups here and there, a good breaking-in and lubing should smooth things out.

I'd recommend not trying to 'Fix' or 'Change' anything until you know it works as it should as designed.

Get it to run correctly with full power loads, then get it to run low power loads.

Running low power loads is a bonus, not a standard.

I don't think you're going to get much argument about that, but I think if one can't get their gun to run target loads they're selling the gun and themselves short, too.

• Like 1