Barrel Shroud Question

I have never had any dealings with this things but they look awesome!  Can you guys help me out with the good and the bad?  Anyone have any pictures of their S12 with one on it?  I have the Titan rail on mine so I hope one will fit with it... any info will help thanks guys and God Bless...

Look at the stickied Saiga 12 pictures thread. That will show you all of them. http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?/topic/13312-picture-post-lets-see-your-saiga-12/

One is much the same as another, you just need to pay attention to length with your titan.

I know of one person who has a functional reason for his- he tends to lean his gun on the table and burn his hand on the barrel.

For everyone else, it is there for aesthetic purposes and just adds weight to your gun. IMO these shotguns are best, light and trim. So they are nimble and swing naturally. I'd be looking at stripping weight rather than adding it. However, it is your gun, and if the gears of war/ nerf look makes you smile, then pay no mind to me.

• Like 3

I agree with GunFun (as usual).   Extra weight out on the barrel is in the worst place you could put it for leverage.
I see these shrouds simply as heavy decoration.  I usually put 100-200 rounds of birdshot/buckshot down the pipe when I shoot these guns and the barrel does not get nearly as hot as it does on a rifle.  This led me to believe that a lot of the barrel heat associated with rapid firing a rifle is probably due to friction rather than the burning powder, but I'm just speculating. 

Finally, one cannot speak of barrel shrouds without paying homage to this classic clip...

barrel-shroud.jpg?w=500&h=400

• Like 3
  • 4 weeks later...

I have never had any dealings with this things but they look awesome!  Can you guys help me out with the good and the bad?  Anyone have any pictures of their S12 with one on it?  I have the Titan rail on mine so I hope one will fit with it... any info will help thanks guys and God Bless...

I put a threaded shroud on my S12 because I wanted to use the Molot. However, I didn't like the Molot break on a skinny barrel by itself so I added a shroud. Added weight to the front of s gun can also reduce muzzle rise as long as it isn't too heavy and unbalanced. People complain about adding weight but putting a 20 round drum on your Saiga 12 is going to add more weight than anything else. Whats a couple more ounces from the shroud going to hurt?

If you want to get a shroud then get one. Some people love them and some people hate them. I hate guns painted red or neon green but to each his own.

One more thing... A lot of people just shoot paper. I hunt hogs. When you get done slinging rounds out while riding on a side by side atv it is nice knowing you don't have to worry about burning your hand while riding full throttle after the next pack of hogs you see...

post-50262-0-85507100-1460513753_thumb.jpeg

Someone actually bought an AA quad?!

I just don't get it. That has to be the most ill conceived piece of kit short of the shield grip I have seen. It's like the only  design goal was to use cheap rail extrusions with the least machining possible. The rails are inches away from the bore. You pretty much can't hold it without some kind of other grip bolted onto it. They were asking over $300 last I looked. And there are things like the Kross, Chaos, CSS, even that silly octagonal one around each of which you could actually put your hand around. Given those, what motivates anyone to ever buy the AA quad?

I think you answered your own question & I have one of my own... Someone that shoots guns actually wears a flat cap? I don't get it lol.

I didn't pay $300 for my quad rail... I didn't even pay half that... If your going to use a foregrip why not buy one? If you want to mount a front sight why not? If you want to add a laser for shooting pigs out of a moving vehicle why not? If you want heat to dissipate quickly because it's 110 degrees out side why not? If it is your gun why not? It's well built I will say that.

That being said I will NEVER do business with AA again!

Man some people on this forum have some sort of god complex! People choose things because it works for their scenario. I mean sorry I don't shoot paper all day and actually use my shotgun. Good grief it's like talking to a bunch of Democrats I just don't get it.

Given those, what would motivate anyone to wear a flat cap?

Edited by Hazieview

It's comfortable. I like the way it looks on me. I don't like most flat caps. Just that one. Also I generally use a motorcycle as primary transport so hair is usually messed up. A cap that fits inside my motorcycle jacket and works suits me.

As I said, you can buy what ever you want for your gun, it is your gun. I'm definitely not God. I like features which make shotguns more useable in practical scenarios. Bulky stuff is generally the opposite. I spent a fair portion of my life shooting at pests, and that required handy durable guns that fit in workspaces, were fast to aim and didn't snag on everything. For me that meant simple > complicated. 

Now I shoot more steel and maybe cardboard as I run by, but I expect to perforate a lot of game birds over the summer.

I do like lasers and front sights. But I like them in line with a natural cheek weld, and  closer to the bore respectively. My gun has both. People give me crap over the green laser. I don't mind, and they won't change my mind.

• Like 2

Making comments like "Someone actually bought an AA quad." Makes you come across as a d!ck. I'm just not that kind of guy and can't stand it when someone comes on here asking questions and gets THAT treatment. There is no reason for it.

The design of the AA quad is to allow heat to dissipate quickly and is designed for the user to install a grip. It is also made out of Aluminum just like any other rail! How is that cheap opposed to the factory plastic grip? Where are you confused on the design? I looked straight down the rail (no sights) and put 4 slugs in a 5" group at 60 yards off the shoulder. Anyone who hunts hogs, deer, etc will tell you that's a kill shot any day when shot placement is in the vital organs! The only way I would even worry about the rail in relation to the bore is if I'm shooting sub MOA with my scoped .308. MOA is not a concern when using buck shot LOL.

If a guy wants to get a shroud then why not tell him the pros and cons and leave it at that instead of saying gears of war/nerf etc.

Your hat fits your needs and should need no explanation. It should be the same with S12s. That's my point.

By the way... Anyone who shoots 3" magnums will appreciate the extra weight up front even with a muzzle break! Believe me!!!

Edited by Hazieview

Most new Saiga 12 and Vepr 12 owners generally put one of every product they can find on the weapon before they really get to know it. I did the same to some degree, but it was quite a bit more subdued. I simply added a sling and vert grip. After a while I figured that the vert grip made me rotate my shoulders to a less than ideal position for recoil mitigation and control, so I lost the vert grip. For the past few years, I have been on a quest to remove as much of the weapon as possible to yield a superior weapon for my purposes. As compact, snag free, light, reliable as possible. Those are my goals for my guns. Other have their goals. Some shoot a little and figure out what they want to lose or change and others stay married to a look they are trying to achieve. I blame a lot of that "look" thing on the aftermarket product manufacturers. They make it seem as if their products are needs or must have items to have a useful or "cool" weapon when the truth is they are often a step backwards instead. I know GunFun may seem like he is being a dick or seems coarse in his comments but I know him very well and I promise you he is simply trying to help.

The GK-01 is excellent in regards to function. They are extremely loud though. I rarely see people firing fast enough to really warrant having it in the weapon though. I use them and recommend them, but if you are not really firing fast you are only getting half of the benefit, IMO.

• Like 1

Have you ever road in rough terrain on an atv? Proper form and especially reloading isn't as easy as sitting on the bench. Grabbing the barrel is also common. To each his own.

I presume a 113 armored personnel carrier counts as an ATV.

If your gun rack/mount system forces you to grasp the gun by the barrel instead of the grip, stock, or handguard for placement or removal, you're doing it wrong.

The same goes for any method of carrying a gun on a sling.

Even if you have a shroud on the barrel to prevent burning yourself, if you're grabbing the gun by the barrel, by definition you've got a larger number important body parts that are going to risk damage or destruction if the gun ADs than you do if you're holding the gun in a more or less firing position. And the gun is a lot mure likely to AD if you're grabbing or carrying it by the barrel than carrying it properly--all you need is a stick in the trigger guard and you can have a really bad day.

No I consider the M113 a rolling can of whoop ass, not an atv.

I was referring to having the butt of the gun on the floor of the side by side atv and holding it by the barrel SHROUD after firing 20+ rounds through it. No military grade mounts on our ranch equipment sorry. Lol

By the way when I'm holding the gun by the barrel SHROUD (with the buttstock on the floor of the atv) it is not loaded. I figured I would explain that so no one freaks out. Good Grief LOL

(If you served in our Military thank you for your service.)

Thanks!

Edited by Hazieview

I know GunFun may seem like he is being a dick or seems coarse in his comments but I know him very well and I promise you he is simply trying to help.

"Someone actually bought an AA quad"

No he was being a straight up dick! Sorry bud you can give positive encouragement without bashing people. It's very simple. If someone wants to offer help I'm all for it. However, If someone is being a dick I'm going to call them on it sorry. Other than that I'm over it. It's water under the bridge.

Back on topic...

I totally agree with your comment about people adding stuff to a new gun. You are right and that exactly what I did lol. Hell I didn't know any better. I do like stuff that is different though. Everyone seems to have the same three foregrips (Kross, Chaos, CSS,) I want something different for my Saiga. Also, if I'm firing my Saiga it's going to be rapid lol. Glad I got the GK-01 especially for the 3" mags but I hate how it looks without the barrel shroud... Don't ask my why. Lol

I have the wooden Norinco AK and an sks, my light and comfortable 12 gauge shotgun for dove hunting, my Remington 700s, 22s, 30-30s, revolvers, levers, pumps, bolts, etc. etc. etc.

I got the Saiga so I could trick it out. I consider it my FunGun. I don't even call any of my guns weapons. They are either firearms or guns. I mean it's a Russian import that I had to Frankenstein into compliance. It's not original to begin with so why keep it that way. Lol. I guess I'm just not as serious as some people that are over the top in love with their Saiga. Lol. To each his own.

Thanks for your positive reply bud.

Edited by Hazieview
post-13180-0-08525300-1461568354_thumb.jpg

I had one made by http://www.alumaliteusa.com/ some time back.  I love it!  No weight issues.  You hardly know that it's there, and it looks bad ass.  Fits the same on the S12.

post-13180-0-59494100-1461568419_thumb.jpg

Edited by Shotty091
  • Like 1

attachicon.gifIMG_4305.JPG

I have never had any dealings with this things but they look awesome! Can you guys help me out with the good and the bad? Anyone have any pictures of their S12 with one on it? I have the Titan rail on mine so I hope one will fit with it... any info will help thanks guys and God Bless...

I had one made by http://www.alumaliteusa.com/ some time back. I love it! No weight issues. You hardly know that it's there, and it looks bad ass. Fits the same on the S12.
Damn, I hate you! lol. That is the exact break I wanted. Unfortunately I waited like 3 months for Alumilite to get there crap together but they would NOT return calls, emails, comments, nothing. Worst customer service I have experienced next to Alliance Armament.

Nice break!

Edited by Hazieview