Almost cost me an instructor certification this week when qualifying with a revolver. Several "click" with no "bang" moments in a timed qual that required quick action on my part to preserve a passing score. Basically, good practice ammo, but that's about it.

Win primers are notoriously hard cup

I load all my major power factor 38 super comp with win srp

In all ammo we load for revolver we use federal primers, known to have the softest cup.

Revolvers that have had trigger work rarely work well with primers other than federal

It may be bad ammo, I dont know for sure, but our revolvers built for competition with very fine trigger work will not shoot factory win ammo.

• Like 1

I was using an old Colt Diamondback duty weapon.  The handgun was inspected prior to the qualification and I practiced with it as well.  However, I practiced with remington and federal ammo.  Several rounds of the white box stuff took more than one hit to go bang.  Thanks for the info on the primers.  Good to know.  

A perfect example of the importance of testing gun/ammo combinations before relying on them for anything important.

I love my Mossy 930 and it's been 100% with every ammo I've tried, even the cheapest bulk field loads.  I picked up a case of Spartan buckshot for the stack and next range trip I took a box of it to try in the 930.  I wanted to check the pattern mostly since bulk buckshot is not known for tight patterns.

I was quite surprised to find the 930 turned into a jammomatic.  About 25% of the cases didn't eject.  I thought something had broken.  So I loaded it up with field loads and it chewed right through it.  Tried some military buckshot and S&B buckshot.  No problem.

I measured the Trojan cases.  Everything was in spec.  Tried it in the Browning and the Norinco.  No problems.

So that gun doesn't like that ammo.  Puzzling and slightly annoying but I'll just stack S&B buckshot instead of Spartan.

Edited by Darth Saigus